The Warren Police Department completed its investigation of hazing allegations at De La Salle Collegiate High School last week, asking prosecutors to authorize assault charges against three students.

The Warren Police Department completed its investigation of hazing allegations at De La Salle Collegiate High School last week, asking prosecutors to authorize assault charges against three students.

Photo by Patricia O’Blenes


Police seek assault charges for students in alleged hazing

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published November 8, 2019

Advertisement

WARREN — Warren police have asked Macomb County prosecutors to authorize assault charges for three football players at De La Salle Collegiate High School tied to hazing allegations at the school that surfaced late last month.

On Nov. 8, Warren Police Commissioner Bill Dwyer said a team of investigators — a sergeant and four detectives — had interviewed more than 50 players on the school’s football roster. He said 15 players, through their parents, declined to be interviewed. Four of the families indicated that they would seek legal counsel, including those of the three players who are now the focus of the department’s request for charges.  

One of the students, an 18-year-old senior at De La Salle, was reportedly 17 when the alleged incident occurred on Oct. 10. Police are seeking an assault charge for that student. Two others are 16 years old and were referred to county prosecutors with a request for juvenile petitions for assault.

Six faculty members, including the football coach, were also interviewed.

“It’s our information that this hazing took place after a dinner on Thursday that they had at De La Salle, just prior to a game on Friday,” Dwyer said.

The alleged hazing reportedly took place in a locker room after the dinner. Dwyer said some players apparently left, fearing they would be subjected to hazing.

In this case, he said the activity allegedly involved broomsticks, but did not involve penetration.

The situation was reportedly brought to the attention of school administrators on Oct. 25. Players were reportedly interviewed by administrators on Oct. 28, and the Warren Police Department was notified on Oct. 31. Dwyer said the formal investigation began the next day.

“Our investigation at this point is complete,” Dwyer said Nov. 8. “However, if any new information comes to our attention — and we are getting some bits and pieces from people — we’ll continue our investigation.”

The three players have reportedly been suspended by the school. Dwyer said De La Salle officials cooperated with the investigation.

According to a press release from the school on Oct. 31, officials became aware of an alleged hazing issue involving the football team prior to its Nov. 1 Michigan High School Athletic Association playoff game against Birmingham Groves. The decision to forfeit the rest of the season was announced after an initial investigation, which the release said revealed that the alleged hazing had “deeper roots, and is more pervasive than originally thought.”

De La Salle President John M. Knight said in a previous statement that the school upholds the values of human dignity, good sportsmanship and respect for all.

 “It’s an ongoing investigation and the school has no comment beyond that,” Knight said Nov. 7.

Staff Writer Maria Allard contributed to this report.

Advertisement