Police discredit attempted kidnapping account

By: Kayla Dimick | Southfield Sun | Published August 29, 2018 | Updated August 30, 2018 10:56am

File photo

Police have discredited a recent kidnapping account from a local girl.

According to a police report, a 16-year-old girl said a kidnapping attempt occurred at around 9:30 p.m. Aug. 8 as she was walking into her apartment in the 26000 block of 12 Mile Road.

The girl told police that she was grabbed by a man who put a gun to her head and put her into a black, older-model minivan with tinted windows.

Police said the girl reported fighting with the suspect before she was let go at the intersection of 12 Mile and Telegraph roads.

However, according to an email from Deputy Chief Nick Loussia, police determined that the story is not credible after a follow-up investigation.

“We believe this due to several inconsistencies in the report, the time delay in reporting the incident and due to a statement of an individual that was interviewed,” Loussia said in an email.

The alleged man with the gun had been described as a white man in his 20s wearing a ski mask, a black shirt and navy jogging pants.

A second suspect was described as a white man wearing a mask from the horror movie “The Purge.” He was said to be wearing a black, long-sleeved shirt and black pants at the time of the alleged incident.

Police said the girl did not provide a good description of the van, but she said that both doors were sliding, and the vehicle had a piece of window tint missing.