Police arrest man after chase through Royal Oak, Berkley

By: Mike Koury, Victoria Mitchell | C&G Newspapers | Published June 29, 2017 | Updated June 29, 2017 5:58pm



Photo provided by ROPD


Dylan Ray Beard, of Pontiac, is facing time behind bars after allegedly leading police on a high-speed chase that ended when the fleeing vehicle crashed into the front yard of a Berkley home.

No one was injured in the incident.

The 20-year-old man was arraigned June 29 and charged with one count of third degree fleeing and eluding a police officer, and one count of operating a vehicle with a suspended, revoked or denied license. The fleeing and eluding charge is a felony and carries a penalty of up to five years in prison. Operating on a suspended license is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 93 days in jail and/or a $500 fine.

Beard pleaded not guilty and was given a $10,000 cash or surety bond, no 10 percent. No attorney had been assigned to his case as of press time.

Royal Oak Police Criminal Investigation Division Lt. Keith Spencer said an officer began to make a traffic stop on Woodward Avenue, about a half-mile north of Catalpa Drive, at 7:51 p.m. June 26 after noticing the suspect driving erratically in a car with an illegible license plate.

Spencer said the driver fled after turning west onto Catalpa in Berkley with the officer in pursuit. The pursuit continued in the residential area.

Police said the driver lost control of the car on Catalpa, west of Coolidge Highway, after reaching speeds of more than 90 mph.

“The driver immediately ran from the scene after striking a porch and crashing into two parked cars, abandoning the passenger inside the vehicle,” Spencer said.

Berkley Public Safety Department Lt. Andrew Hadfield said the passenger was detained at the scene but later released, as police determined that he had no involvement in the chase. Police said he refused any medical treatment.

Spencer said that after the driver fled on foot, officers began searching for him with the help of a Bloomfield Hills K-9 unit and Berkley police.

Hadfield said they tracked the driver toward the area of 11 Mile Road and Coolidge Highway, but they were unable to locate him at the time, which was around 9:30 p.m.

At about 11:15 p.m., Hadfield said, the Public Safety Department received a call about two suspicious people outside O’Mara’s Restaurant at 2555 12 Mile Road. It was there that investigators were able to locate the driver and the passenger who earlier had been released.

“Officers arrived and identified the suspect matching the description from the earlier pursuit, who had run and was hiding in the bushes of the O’Mara’s parking lot,” he said. “They were able to make contact with him and detain him until Royal Oak PD arrived.”

Spencer said the driver was turned over to Royal Oak officers and was being held before his arraignment on a charge of fleeing and eluding a police officer and several outstanding misdemeanor warrants. He said Beard does not have any prior convictions.

Spencer said that any chase is a dynamic, fluid situation, and the decision to engage in or maintain the pursuit is made on almost a second-by-second basis.

“The fortunate thing in this incident is that nobody was seriously hurt, and now we have the person responsible for his reckless driving in custody,” Spencer said.

This is the fifth high-speed chase for Royal Oak police since April.

Beard is scheduled to appear in 44th District Court at 9 a.m. July 11 for a probable cause conference.