Officers contain Saturday afternoon fire on Nottingham

By: K. Michelle Moran | Grosse Pointe Times | Published May 24, 2016

 Firefighters from Grosse Pointe City and Park battled a fire at a home on Nottingham Road Saturday afternoon and managed to contain the damage to the room where the blaze began.

Firefighters from Grosse Pointe City and Park battled a fire at a home on Nottingham Road Saturday afternoon and managed to contain the damage to the room where the blaze began.

Photo provided by c zientek

Advertisement

GROSSE POINTE PARK — Public safety officers were able to prevent a fire from spreading throughout a house in the 1300 block of Nottingham Road over the weekend.

Public Safety Director Stephen Poloni said officers from Grosse Pointe Park and City responded to the two-alarm fire, which started around 3:20 p.m. May 21. The fire appeared to have been caused by a candle left unattended in a bedroom, he said. Poloni said officers were able to contain the damage to the bedroom where the blaze began.

“They did a really good job,” he said of the officers at the scene. “(The fire) didn’t spread.”

Poloni said that everyone got out of the house safely and there were no injuries. The resident, who was home at the time, called the Park Public Safety Department after noticing smoke, Poloni said.

Although the home sustained damage from the fire, Poloni said it was livable and could be restored. No further investigation into the incident is expected, he said.

As the summer season’s unofficial start over the Memorial Day weekend approaches, people are likely to be lighting their grills and setting off fireworks. Poloni said it’s always important to take safety precautions around items like the aforementioned, including not letting children play around or light barbecue grills. On the days when fireworks use is permissible in the city, he said adults need to be present to light and supervise these displays, and adults also need to handle these potentially harmful or deadly devices with care. 

Summer storms can lead to downed wires, and Poloni said residents also need to steer clear of those.

And, as the fire on Nottingham demonstrates, even when a resident is home, a burning candle can quickly turn dangerous. Poloni advised that people extinguish candles before they leave a room.

“It’s very important not to leave (lit) candles unattended at any time,” he said.

Advertisement