Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Men in custody after multiple gunshots fired in apartment

By: Kara Szymanski | Shelby - Utica News | Published November 18, 2019

 Left: Eddy Ayres   Right: Curt Smith

Left: Eddy Ayres Right: Curt Smith

SHELBY TOWNSHIP — Three Shelby Township men were taken into custody after police were dispatched to an apartment complex in Shelby Township for a report of shots being fired in an apartment Nov. 11.

According to a press release, officers arrived at the Crystal Lake Apartments complex on 22 Mile Road at approximately 10 p.m. to hear numerous gunshots coming from a second-floor apartment in building B.

Police from outside the apartment complex observed men firing a rifle.

Officers set up a perimeter and secured the area, and the Shelby Township Tactical Response Unit was activated. Shelby Township was assisted by SWAT Team members from the Sterling Heights and Warren police departments.

After two to three hours, crisis negotiators were able to convince the three suspects to exit the apartment, police said.

Eddy Ayres, 34, of Shelby Township, and Curt Smith, 38, of Shelby Township, allegedly were found to have been firing the gun, and a third man, 28, of Shelby Township, allegedly was also in the apartment at the time.

All three men were safely taken into custody, and a rifle was located in the apartment, police said.

Police said they do not know why the men allegedly were firing the gun and that the two men had fired the rifle about 15 times.

“No damage was found in the area where the gun was being fired,” Shelby Township Police Capt. Jason Schmittler said.

Police said all three men had been drinking at the time of the incident.

Detective Sgt. Terry Hogan said in an email that the three men have been charged and are out on bond.

“Two of the three were charged with a 10-year felony for discharging a firearm in a building. The third guy was charged with disorderly conduct and (given) a $1,000 personal bond. The other two are being held on $10,000 bonds,” he said.

Detectives are still investigating the incident. More information will be released as the investigation continues.

Schmittler said they are glad the issue was able to be resolved and no one was hurt.

“We are thankful that nobody was injured and the incident had a peaceful resolution. The suspects’ foolish actions put others in jeopardy,” said Schmittler.

Ayers’ attorney, Andrea Fanning, and Smith’s attorney, Mark Haddad, could not immediately be reached for comment.