Man dies, woman injured in Warren house fire

By: Brian Louwers | Warren Weekly | Published August 1, 2019

 Warren Fire Commissioner Skip McAdams said an afternoon fire July 31 on Lyons Circle, near 13 Mile and Mound roads, has been ruled accidental. A 69-year-old man perished, and a 58-year-old woman remained hospitalized Aug. 1.

Warren Fire Commissioner Skip McAdams said an afternoon fire July 31 on Lyons Circle, near 13 Mile and Mound roads, has been ruled accidental. A 69-year-old man perished, and a 58-year-old woman remained hospitalized Aug. 1.

Photo by Brian C. Louwers

Advertisement

A man was dead at the scene and a woman was transported to the hospital with severe burns following an afternoon house fire in Warren July 31.

Warren Fire Chief Tim Morgan said firefighters were dispatched at 2:08 p.m. to the home on Lyons Circle, north of 13 Mile Road and west of Mound Road. A search crew located the 58-year-old woman, who reportedly suffered second-degree burns to more than 30 percent of her body. She was transported to Detroit Receiving Hospital, where she remained in intensive care the morning after the fire. 

Morgan said the 69-year-old man, who was reportedly disabled, was found on the floor near a chair. 

“I think they were overcome by smoke. They found him on the floor, almost as if he was trying to get up. She was found towards the back door,” Morgan said. “I think she was trying to get out and couldn’t quite make it.”

The chief said the fire burned hot, but the flames were partially out when firefighters arrived due to an apparent lack of oxygen. A neighbor reportedly tried to enter the home before firefighters arrived, but the smoke was too thick. 

Warren Fire Commissioner Skip McAdams said the fire was ruled accidental, most likely caused by smoking. He said battery-powered smoke detectors were present but were not working because the batteries had been removed. 

“The point of origin of the fire was very near the chair, in the living room,” McAdams said.

The fatality is Warren’s second attributed to a house fire this year, McAdams confirmed. 

Call Staff Writer Brian Louwers at (586) 498-1089.

Advertisement