Man dies in apartment fire

By: Linda Shepard | Rochester Post | Published April 19, 2016

Advertisement

ROCHESTER HILLS — A 78-year-old man died of a medical emergency recently during a small fire in his apartment.

According to Rochester Hills Fire Chief Sean Canto, fire officials were dispatched at 6:40 p.m. April 11 to an apartment in the 2500 block of Walton Boulevard.

“What appeared to have happened was that a small fire started in the area of his stove,” Canto said. “A burner had been turned on, and things stored on top of the stove caught fire. It appears the gentleman went to put the fire out and had a medical emergency. His pajama pants also caught on fire.”

A neighbor smelled smoke, and an apartment maintenance worker entered the apartment and found the unconscious man.

“The fire was extinguished before the maintenance man got there,” Canto said. The man was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead by an emergency room physician.

Firefighters also responded to a residential fire at 11:53 p.m. April 13 in the 450 block of Avon Road, a report states. Police discovered the fire while on a routine patrol and notified fire officials. The home’s residents were not in the house at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported. The fire was contained to the home’s basement, Canto said.

Advertisement