Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Man allegedly leads police on chase, crashes

By: Mike Koury | Woodward Talk | Published May 5, 2016



FERNDALE — Ferndale police arrested a 28-year-old Pontiac motorist after he allegedly fled from an officer and crashed into another car.

Travis Dawayne Lee was arraigned in the 43rd District Court on Saturday, April 30, on charges of third-degree fleeing and eluding police, a five-year felony; resisting a police officer, a two-year felony; and driving with a suspended license-second offense, a one-year misdemeanor.

According to Ferndale police, an officer attempted to make a traffic stop on Lee around 7:20 a.m. April 29. Lee allegedly made an illegal turn at a red light at Woodward Avenue and Nine Mile Road.

Police said Lee fled from the officer, taking off eastbound on Nine Mile after the officer tried to pull over Lee’s van near Nine Mile and Paxton Street. Lee then allegedly drove his van through a red light at Hilton Road, where he almost caused an accident, according to police. Lee allegedly kept driving until he lost control of his vehicle and crashed into a car. The woman driving the car was not hurt, police said, although the vehicle was badly damaged.

Ferndale Police Detective Lt. William Wilson said police are not sure why Lee decided to flee, though Wilson believes it might have had to do with Lee’s license suspension.

“(We) can’t look into his mind for sure,” Wilson said. “We didn’t find any other reason.”

Wilson said that the incident likely would have resulted in a ticket if Lee had pulled over.

After the crash, police said, Lee took off on foot southbound toward Troy Street and Nine Mile Road. Police said Lee climbed a 10-foot barbed wire fence and landed in a yard where Ferndale and Hazel Park police took him into custody.

Lee’s bond was set at $16,000, which had not been posted as of May 4. According to the 43rd District Court, Lee did not yet have a lawyer. His next court date, a probable cause conference, was scheduled for 1 p.m. Monday, May 9. A preliminary examination was scheduled for 2:30 p.m. Monday, May 16.