Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Looking Back

Published May 8, 2018

ST. CLAIR SHORES — Nine years after the city first decided to do something about the large number of homes that had been foreclosed upon in the city, the last of the properties acquired for unpaid taxes from Macomb County has been approved for sale.

Read More

Published May 7, 2018

MACOMB COUNTY — It all started in 1968, when more than a dozen students graduated from the first-ever Macomb Community College nursing program.

Read More

Published April 27, 2018

DETROIT — The Detroit Yacht Club Foundation is inviting the public to a gala taking place at the historic clubhouse on Belle Isle to support the continued efforts to refurbish and preserve the 95-year-old building.

Read More

Published April 24, 2018

ST. CLAIR SHORES — In 1939, Bucky Moore of Mount Clemens, with the assistance of the American Legion Post, formed a baseball league of six teams — Mount Clemens, New Haven, Richmond, Van Dyke, Center Line and St. Clair Shores — to play in the Macomb County American Legion League.

Read More

Published April 20, 2018

ORCHARD LAKE — During the summer of 2013, with the support of Dr. David Brose and the Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society, Dr. LouAnn Wurst and Mark Hoock co-instructed a unique anthropology class for Western Michigan University students using Apple Island as their classroom.

Read More

Published April 17, 2018

GROSSE POINTE PARK — Located as it is at 1401 Whittier Road at Mack Avenue in Grosse Pointe Park, across the street from Detroit, St. Clare of Montefalco Catholic Church has long been something of a bridge between barriers, bringing city and suburb together in faith.

Read More

Published April 16, 2018

FARMINGTON HILLS — What did a group of young moms do in 1967 when they saw that their church’s classroom at First Presbyterian Church of Farmington was underutilized?

Read More

Published April 16, 2018

Have you ever wondered about the painting that hangs on the back wall of the Local History Room at the Bloomfield Township Public Library?

Read More

Published April 16, 2018

BIRMINGHAM — Before families tuned into television or even the radio for information, there were the chautauqua programs. Farmers in small towns and villages out in the countryside would gather together to hear lectures on a variety of subjects, hear about current events and enjoy a little live entertainment.

Read More

Published April 16, 2018

ROYAL OAK — On April 9, the City Commission heard from representatives who worked on a 2017 Royal Oak stormwater management study for green infrastructure, which identifies green infrastructure and stormwater management options to reduce the amount of water entering the city’s sewer system.

Read More

Published April 16, 2018

ROYAL OAK — On April 9, the Royal Oak City Commission voted 5-2 to reduce its public comment time limit from five minutes to three minutes. The resolution included the caveat that the commission would revisit the rule in four months if any problems arise.

Read More

Published April 10, 2018

CLAWSON — The organization that is now known as the General Federation of Women’s Clubs Clawson Women’s Club is celebrating a milestone anniversary this year.

Read More

Published April 10, 2018

Members of Girl Scout Troop 40347 rang a bell 39 times April 4 to signify the 39 years Martin Luther King Jr. spent on this Earth. 

Read More

Published April 10, 2018

 A fire can start anywhere and take any size, and just a couple of blocks away from the 12 Mile Road and Coolidge Highway intersection, what some call the largest fire to ever occur in Berkley took place.

Read More

Published April 5, 2018

C&G Newspapers

MACOMB COUNTY —  The Erie Canal — the waterway that begins at the Hudson River in New York and drains into Lake Erie — is 363 miles long.

Read More

Published April 3, 2018

Learning your family’s history has a lot of benefits, including being able to pass it on to future generations.

Read More

Published March 28, 2018

rding to Berkley Historical Museum Vice Chairman Jeffrey Tong, Hamlet Harris in 1839 bought 40 acres of land for $1.25 an acre in what became Berkley. Hamlet’s wife, Jane, had been a slave and Hamlet bought her freedom. When he was allowed to vote for the first time, it is said that “Tears ran down Hamlet’s cheeks as he repeated several times, ‘Now I am a man.’” The house he built still stands on what became Catalpa Drive, near Woodward Avenue. 

Read More

Published March 26, 2018

FARMINGTON — Movies and air conditioning were both big draws for the Farmington Civic Theater, as the sign in this late 1940s photo suggests.

Read More

Published March 26, 2018

South River Road School one-room schoolhouse sat in what is now Harrison Township. Jacob Hatzenbuhler sold a corner of his farm for $25 as the site for the new school in 1874. Since most of the students were named Hatzenbuhler, conjecture has it that he wanted to keep his kids close to home. Today his land is the site of South River Elementary School.

Read More

Published March 23, 2018

ST. CLAIR SHORES — This is the “delivery photo” that was taken Aug. 23, 1954, the day the new fire truck arrived at the St. Clair Shores Fire Department.

Read More