Looking Back

Published January 30, 2018

FARMINGTON HILLS — Farmington Hills’ historic Botsford Inn was built in 1836. It still stands at Grand River Avenue and Eight Mile Road — although Henry Ford did move it back from the road at one point.

Read More

Published January 25, 2018

This winter, many of us learned a new term, “bomb cyclone.” The term is new, but the snow and ice and nose-to-toes numbing cold are not.

Read More

Published January 23, 2018

ROYAL OAK — From 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 4, the Royal Oak Historical Society will welcome the public for a preview party of its latest exhibit, “A Journey to the Smartphone: Smoke Signals to the Smartphone,” which will highlight how communication has evolved through the ages.

Read More

Published January 23, 2018

MACOMB COUNTY — What better way to celebrate Macomb County’s 200th birthday than taking a tour of its historical places?

Read More

Published January 23, 2018

ST. CLAIR SHORES — The St. Clair Shores Historical Commission granted approval of the request for a marker recognizing the history of the building on Oct. 27, 2012.

Read More

Published January 22, 2018

When Joseph Wampler and his crew of surveyors came through Oakland County in April 200 years ago, they found a landscape of forests, swamps and fields.

Read More

Published January 16, 2018

 The Jennie Mower Dry Good and Millinery store provided local residents with clothing, shoes, hats, curtains and more between 1900 and 1910. 

Read More

Published December 6, 2017

FARMINGTON — Grace Hotel in downtown Farmington was built on the north side of Grand River Avenue in 1915 by Benjamin Grace. 

Read More

Published November 30, 2017

ng the Bath Era of Mount Clemens, the Park Hotel and Bath House was the largest and most famous of the city’s spas. And the most expensive. It was known for its lavish parties and celebrations. It was also known as the social center for the local elite, as well as celebrities from across the country and abroad. It was an elegant place to spend the holidays.

Read More

Published November 27, 2017

Among the men who served in World War I was Charles Martin Green.

Read More

Published October 16, 2017

This photograph, taken in August 1936 at the Packard Proving Grounds, shows Proving Grounds manager Charles Vincent, left, with his secretary, Milton Forester. They are inspecting a 1937 Packard 1500 Super 8 touring sedan that had just come off the testing areas. The model was introduced in September 1936. This photograph was given to the Packard Motor Car Foundation by Vincent’s oldest daughter, Dorothea, as a restoration guide for the water tower. Note the checkerboard pattern on the tower tank.

Read More

Published October 13, 2017

St. Joan of Arc Roman Catholic Parish was established in December 1927 by Detroit’s bishop, Michael James Gallagher, making the parish 90 years old this year. The parish’s first pastor was the Rev. Joseph L. Fillion. The first Mass was celebrated on Dec. 8, 1927, in the “Newberry Stores.”

Read More

Published September 22, 2017

On Aug. 27, 2017, when the doors of the Gibraltar Trade Center closed for good, we marked the end of another era for the property that was once home to the Mount Clemens Race Track.

The site was part of Harrison Township until it was annexed by Mount Clemens. The track opened around 1900 and featured year-round horse races and parimutuel betting. When horse racing on ice and betting were banned, the track turned to auto racing.

Read More

Published September 21, 2017

HARRISON TOWNSHIP — There’s no doubt about it: Harrison Township is growing.

According to a 2000 census, the population of the lakefront community stood at 24,461. The number of people residing in the township increased to 26,004 by 2008, and as of today, the community is more than 27,000 strong, with population estimates over the next two years to exceed 28,000.

With that increase in the population comes an increase in construction, both commercial and residential.

Read More

Published September 19, 2017

GROSSE POINTE WOODS — When Tom Carnaghi joined the Lochmoor Club 14 years ago, he knew it was the place to be based on how quickly he felt welcome.

“You walk in and you know everybody,” he said. “People here care about each other. They like to have fun.”

Read More

Published September 18, 2017

BIRMINGHAM — As far as female trailblazers go, the city of Birmingham has one of the best.

Back when Birmingham was still a village, Martha Baldwin was a force to be reckoned with. She founded the public library, became a public servant in a male-dominated realm, and created a Village Improvement Society that advocated for the installation and beautification of sidewalks, which included a ban on spitting chewing tobacco in public — a ban she personally enforced.

Oh, and she refused to wear a corset too.

Read More

Published September 18, 2017

Betty Anne Knudson, of Waterford, speaks during the full military honors ceremony for Nathaniel Squire, an American Revolution patriot and first Utica settler in 1817, at the Utica Cemetery Sept. 17. Knudson is Squire’s second great-granddaughter.

Officials unveiled the memorial grave marker from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for Squire, who served in the American Revolution, during Squire’s full military honors ceremony. Ten years of research had gone into proving that Squire is buried in the Utica Cemetery, since records do not reach that far back.

Read More

Newsroom tweets

Tweets by C & G Newspapers journalists
Reporters' opinions are their own and retweets do not equal endorsements.