Looking Back

Published March 26, 2018

South River Road School one-room schoolhouse sat in what is now Harrison Township. Jacob Hatzenbuhler sold a corner of his farm for $25 as the site for the new school in 1874. Since most of the students were named Hatzenbuhler, conjecture has it that he wanted to keep his kids close to home. Today his land is the site of South River Elementary School.

Read More

Published March 23, 2018

ST. CLAIR SHORES — This is the “delivery photo” that was taken Aug. 23, 1954, the day the new fire truck arrived at the St. Clair Shores Fire Department.

Read More

Published March 12, 2018

BIRMINGHAM — In 1861, John Bigelow tried to enlist in the Union Army. Bigelow was initially rejected because of a hand injury he had sustained while working in a mill as a teen. But he persisted and got an officer to swear him in for limited clerical duty.

Read More

Published February 27, 2018

ROCHESTER — During the 1920s, Rochester schools experienced an exciting period of advancement. A quote from the book “One-Hundred Years of Rochester Schools,” by Dr. Max Mallon, explains.

Read More

Published February 22, 2018

HARRISON TOWNSHIP — The winter of 2018 has been rough, with all the snow and ice and frigid temperatures. This 1938 Detroit News photo shows that these conditions are nothing new to Clinton River business owners and residents.

Read More

Published February 19, 2018

C&G Newspapers

OAKLAND COUNTY — Farmington Hills resident Ken Klemmer’s 1920s storybook Tudor home, 31805 Bond Blvd. in Farmington Hills, is a fixer-upper. 

Read More

Published February 16, 2018

DETROIT — The Belle Isle Boat House is asking for support to maintain the historic building and inviting the public to check out what the Belle Isle landmark can offer.

Read More

Published February 6, 2018

FARMINGTON — An 1890s barn located at 32905 Grand River Ave. in downtown Farmington is causing a small stir in the community and beyond. Its owner is giving it away.

Read More

Published January 31, 2018

BIRMINGHAM — Upon the United States’ entry into World War I in 1917, the Navy discovered that it faced a particular problem: It didn’t have enough binoculars to outfit the seamen on ships looking for submarines, which were beginning to be extensively employed by countries on both sides of the conflict.

Read More

Published January 30, 2018

OAKLAND TOWNSHIP — The Cranberry Lake Farm Historic District will present the history of courtship and a pastry demonstration at an upcoming event celebrating Valentine’s Day.

Read More

Published January 30, 2018

FARMINGTON HILLS — Farmington Hills’ historic Botsford Inn was built in 1836. It still stands at Grand River Avenue and Eight Mile Road — although Henry Ford did move it back from the road at one point.

Read More

Published January 25, 2018

This winter, many of us learned a new term, “bomb cyclone.” The term is new, but the snow and ice and nose-to-toes numbing cold are not.

Read More

Published January 23, 2018

ROYAL OAK — From 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 4, the Royal Oak Historical Society will welcome the public for a preview party of its latest exhibit, “A Journey to the Smartphone: Smoke Signals to the Smartphone,” which will highlight how communication has evolved through the ages.

Read More

Published January 23, 2018

MACOMB COUNTY — What better way to celebrate Macomb County’s 200th birthday than taking a tour of its historical places?

Read More

Published January 23, 2018

ST. CLAIR SHORES — The St. Clair Shores Historical Commission granted approval of the request for a marker recognizing the history of the building on Oct. 27, 2012.

Read More

Published January 22, 2018

When Joseph Wampler and his crew of surveyors came through Oakland County in April 200 years ago, they found a landscape of forests, swamps and fields.

Read More

Published January 16, 2018

 The Jennie Mower Dry Good and Millinery store provided local residents with clothing, shoes, hats, curtains and more between 1900 and 1910. 

Read More

Published December 6, 2017

FARMINGTON — Grace Hotel in downtown Farmington was built on the north side of Grand River Avenue in 1915 by Benjamin Grace. 

Read More

Published November 30, 2017

ng the Bath Era of Mount Clemens, the Park Hotel and Bath House was the largest and most famous of the city’s spas. And the most expensive. It was known for its lavish parties and celebrations. It was also known as the social center for the local elite, as well as celebrities from across the country and abroad. It was an elegant place to spend the holidays.

Read More

Published November 27, 2017

Among the men who served in World War I was Charles Martin Green.

Read More

Upcoming Events

Berkley
Armenian music with Ara Topouzian
6:30 p.m.
Berkley Public Library
Grosse Pointe Shores
An Evening of Roses
5:30-8:30 p.m.
Edsel & Eleanor Ford House
Grosse Pointe Farms
Music production workshop
2 p.m.
Grosse Pointe Public Library
Rochester
Pedal the Past bike tour
6-8 p.m.
Rochester Hills Public Library

MORE LISTINGS

ADD AN EVENT

FULL CALENDAR

Newsroom tweets

Tweets by C & G Newspapers journalists
Reporters' opinions are their own and retweets do not equal endorsements.