Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Looking Back

Published August 5, 2014

The Fraser Water Tower was erected on 14 Mile Road, west of Utica Road, in 1948. It was used until 1964 when Fraser switched to Detroit water. The landmark was used by planes at nearby McKinley Airport. In 1973, it was sold to another community for a dollar and removed from the area.

From Alan Naldrett, Fraser Historical Society

Read More

Published January 4, 2014

Source: photo submitted by James Tong, Berkley Historical Museum

In 1946, Baker’s Drug Store moved into this building, located at 2600 W. 12 Mile Road, in Berkley.

In 1959, Raymond Lewis Baker sold the business to Max Millman, Milton Abramson and Harold Elias. Millman’s son, James, became a pharmacist and later took over the business.

On May 24, 2007, James Millman closed the store and donated a sizeable collection of historical drugs and prescription-making equipment to the Berkley Historical Museum, where it is on permanent display.

Read More

Published November 26, 2013

Source: Cynthia Bieniek, librarian and archivist, St. Clair Shores Public Library
Photo Courtesy of the St. Clair Shores Historical Commission

Read More

Published November 7, 2013

Photo submitted by James Tong, Berkley Historical Museum

The Grapevine Bar is pictured here in November 1975 at its location on Coolidge Highway, between 12 Mile Road and Catalpa Drive, in Berkley. The Grapevine, which was formerly known as the Bear’s Den, was one of the most popular drinking spots in Berkley for decades. Today, the restaurant Bagger Dave’s sits in the former location of the Grapevine Bar.

Read More

Published October 16, 2013

Cook School, pictured here in the 1890s, is a one-room schoolhouse that opened as the Fractional District No. 9 School in 1890. The school was originally built on land at Mack, near Lochmoor Boulevard.

The school initially was built to house 60 students from first-eighth grades, even though only 30 students attended the first year it opened. The school focused on reading, writing, arithmetic, geography, English grammar, U.S. history and orthography (spelling). Physiology and civil government were added later.

Read More

Published October 9, 2013

This photograph, taken in the summer of 1932, is from the Roberta Vincent Mocabee collection. Roberta is standing, with help from Jim Loucks, in front of her home, the Gate Lodge at the Packard Proving Grounds in Shelby Township. Roberta was born in Detroit in May of 1931. Her father, Charles Vincent, was the Proving Grounds manager. Roberta spent the first 10 years of her life at the Proving Grounds under the watchful eyes of her mother, her older sisters, her tutors, the gardener, the test drivers and Loucks, who was the site security guard.

Read More

Published October 2, 2013

From the Roseville Historical & Genealogical Society and the Roseville Public Library

The Roseville Inn was located on the west side of Gratiot, at the corner of Frazho. It had once been the Haselhuhn General Store. The saloon was downstairs and there was a big dance hall upstairs. The date of the photo is unknown.

Read More