Looking Back

Published October 6, 2015

C&G Newspapers

DETROIT — Global trade is so normal now, we take it for granted, but the transportation and sale of goods over long distances might have never been a modern reality were it not for a couple of men with local ties.

Read More

Published September 29, 2015

By the 1920s, it was obvious that a wider Woodward Avenue was desperately needed. The 66-foot roadway was just not enough to sustain the increasing number of cars traveling between Detroit and Pontiac. The Michigan Legislature passed the Wider Woodward Avenue Bill in 1923 to increase the width of the road to 200 feet.

Read More

Published September 23, 2015

Students line up outside the Halfway Schoolhouse in what is now Eastpointe in this month’s photo, taken on an unknown date in 1905. The schoolhouse itself was built in 1872 — the third such schoolhouse in the current city. An annex was built onto the structure in 1901 due to increasing enrollment, as the original structure could only accommodate 60 students. Along with its predecessors, the schoolhouse was located along Nine Mile Road, west of Gratiot, where it faced Grove Street.

Read More

Published September 16, 2015

Chief Harold Lanstra poses with the members of the St. Clair Shores Village Police Motorcycle Squad on June 19, 1928. They were photographed in the police yard, which was located on the northeast corner of the Davis block near Harper and 11 Mile Road. From left to right are Trufly Dubey, Harvey Champine, Jim Trombly and Jim Nelson. In June 1926, the first Police Department had been organized with a team of four men and two motorcycles. John (Jack) Doyle was appointed chief, and Harold Lanstra, Abel Allard and Harvey Champine were patrolmen.Read More

Published September 9, 2015

The first church erected in Berkley was this wooden building, called First Baptist Church, which stood on the east side of Coolidge Highway at Dorothea Road. It was built in 1920.

This building was painted white and green. The parishioners eventually merged with another Baptist congregation in Royal Oak.

James Tong, with the Berkley Historical Museum, came across this photo while compiling it as part of “Images of America: Berkley,” which is available at the Berkley Public Library, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.

Read More

Published September 9, 2015

Written by Kim Parr, director of the Macomb County Historical Society and Crocker House Museum, located at 15 Union St., Mount Clemens, MI 48043
(www.crockerhousemuseum.com)

Read More

Published September 4, 2015

ST. CLAIR SHORES — Nearly 80 years ago, on Sept. 27, 1935, the St. Clair Shores Public Library opened its doors.


Tucked in a room of the old Municipal Building, on the site currently occupied by the 40th District Court, the library was staffed by volunteers from the St. Clair Shores Study Club and contained more than 500 books that had been donated or purchased, including 60 bought with a donation from Edsel Ford.

Read More

Published August 27, 2015

FRASER — In the digital age, something as mundane as a mailbox is often an afterthought.


But when it comes to one particular mailbox that is now representing a piece of Fraser history, the journey has been nothing short of interesting.


It started in the summer of 1972 when current city Councilman Paul Cilluffo was taken to a house in the city by Marie Rattee, his girlfriend at the time. The two eventually got married and are still wed to this day.

Read More

Published August 19, 2015

Recently, the Birmingham Historical Museum and Park received a call from a woman asking about the Fort Morgan rock located on museum property, interested to see if it truly was from Fort Morgan in Mobile, Alabama.

Read More

Published August 14, 2015

ROSEVILLE — This month’s photo is of the original Erin Presbyterian Church building, used from 1861 until 1930 on land donated by Thomas Common. Originally known as the First Presbyterian Church of Erin, the church was renamed in 1929 to the First Presbyterian Church of Roseville; at roughly the same time, the church sold part of its land to the state so that Gratiot Avenue could be widened.

Read More

Published August 5, 2015

“There’s another world waiting, at Ford Field on Van Dyke between 22 and 23 Mile Roads in Shelby Township. The magic that is a carnival has turned the field into a maze of whirling lights, cotton candy, and laughter. There’s a tiny zoo of stuffed animals vying for new owners. The music and rides and thrills will last only through Sunday, when the 24th annual Shelby-Utica Lions Homecoming comes to an end. It’s a trip into childhood, where time goes away for a while.”

 

Read More

Published August 3, 2015

CLINTON TOWNSHIP — Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery, but it’s important to never forget how the past has impacted the present.


Clinton Township, which now boasts more than 100,000 residents and is among the largest municipalities in all of Michigan, has a rich history that has shaped its place in Macomb County and around the state.

Read More

Published July 29, 2015

The first church and rectory of Ascension Church was built on Ascension (Vivian) Street, which would later become the City of Warren. Fr. Podsiad and John Kostera directed parish volunteers, and the building was finished in time for Mass on Dec. 25, 1926. One month later, Fr. Podsiad was made pastor.

Read More

Published July 26, 2015

MOUNT CLEMENS — Led by Professor Silas Wood, the Mount Clemens Public Library opened up to the public on the third floor of the old Union School in 1865.

That room, in a building that later became the Alexander Macomb Learning Center and is now the home of St. Mary Catholic School on Union Street, quickly became too small for the popular library. The inventory was relocated to the basement of the then courthouse, which is today the Old Macomb County Administration Building, and the very first librarian was hired.

Read More

Published July 22, 2015

EASTPOINTE — This month’s historical picture is a drawing of the Templeton Farm, circa 1895, from an old Macomb County plat map atlas. An English immigrant known as Mr. Houghton originally bought the Erin Township property in the mid-1800s and established a farm that stretched from Stephens Road to 10 Mile Road, from Hayes to Phlox. The farmhouse was on the north side of Stephens, between modern-day Grove and Dale streets.

Read More

Published July 17, 2015

Richard and Rose Maison’s farm was located in the Grossedale subdivision near the northern boundary of St. Clair Shores. This photograph was taken around 1900. According to the U.S. Census at that time and from notes on the image, Benjamin was 6; Rosa was 8; mother Rose was holding 2-year-old Archie; and Matilda (known as Tillie) was 4. An older daughter, possibly identified as Mary, stood near her father, Richard, who was holding the reigns of his horse.Read More

Published July 17, 2015

This photograph depicts the city of Berkley in the 1930s from atop the old city water tower, which was located on Bacon Avenue, just south of 12 Mile Road, on the grounds of the Berkley Department of Public Works facility.
In the photo, homes, land and even Pattengill Elementary School, which was built in 1925, can be seen.
James Tong, with the Berkley Historical Museum, came across this photo while compiling it as part of “Images of America: Berkley,” which is available at the Berkley Public Library, Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.

Read More

Published July 7, 2015

With the fast-growing popularity of automobiles in the 1910s, Woodward Avenue was already booming from Detroit to Pontiac, despite being two lanes and not fully paved. The busy road caused traffic backups for miles, but business and civic leaders saw potential for economic growth from the travel.

Read More

Published July 7, 2015

CLAWSON — When Mary Dooley married in 1928, she was adorned in a moire satin gown with beaded shoulder detail.

The skirt was held out with panniers worn on the hips, and her netted veil was decorated with handmade shell flowers.

The dress was donated by the Dooley family and is featured in the Clawson Historical Museum’s exhibit, Forever a Bride — Wedding Gowns of Clawson Women.

Generations of wedding gowns are carefully placed and purposefully styled throughout the museum for attendees to view throughout August.

Read More

Published July 2, 2015

EASTPOINTE — St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Eastpointe turned 170 this year after being founded in 1845 — a mere eight years after Michigan became a state.


According to church member Cindy Odren, the church’s origins actually started in modern-day Detroit at Eight Mile Road and Gratiot Avenue. German settlers had started a church there in 1841, but an argument over what name to put on the altar led to the church splitting in 1845.

Read More