Looking Back: The Rochester post office

Rochester Post | Published November 22, 2019

ROCHESTER — The post office at Fourth Street and Walnut Boulevard was constructed and dedicated in June of 1938 following a large ceremony with a parade down Walnut Boulevard.

Originally located in an inadequate space on East Fourth Street, the new post office saw the start of a new age for the U.S. Postal Service.

It was led by the first postmistress of Rochester, Jessie M. Stackhouse, who took the new post office from third-class status to a first class, steadily raising the receipt totals year after year. The restaurant Penny Black now occupies the post office building at Fourth and Walnut.  

Discovered while Chelsea Pridmore, an intern at the Rochester Hills Museum, was processing a scrapbook found within the collection, this photo is part of the Jessie M. Stackhouse scrapbook, which is available for research at the Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm. Photos from the scrapbook can be found on the Oakland County Historical Resources website at www.oaklandcountyhistory.org.

— The Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm