Looking Back: Four-O-Six Café and Bar

Rochester Post | Published May 29, 2018

Advertisement

ROCHESTER — Serving as a comfortable spot for men to enjoy a drink after working at Twist Drill or Avon Tube, the Four-O-Six Café and Bar opened in 1936 on Main Street.

Carl Hartwig, the brother of real estate agent Max Hartwig, opened the Four-O-Six in the space formerly occupied by the Village Tavern, naming his new bar and café after his address at 406 Main St. An opening day advertisement in the Rochester Clarion newspaper offered lunches for 45 cents and “roadhouse dinners” for a dollar.

A chimney fire damaged the building and its neighbor, Webber Cleaners, in 1946, causing $100 in damage. The fire was located in the wall behind a refrigerator, and the bar kitchen was damaged by water, smoke and steam.

In 1952, the bar and café moved its location up the block to 434 Main St. Locals enjoyed asking, “What’s the address of the 406 Bar?”     

Tragedy struck in 1971, when local resident William Spencer was shot and killed by another bar patron. The Four-O-Six’s reputation suffered, and the bar closed its doors two years later.

Today, a jewelry store occupies the site of the Four-O-Six, offering diamonds and pearls in place of whiskey and beer.

Advertisement