Looking Back: E.A. Hudson’s

Rochester Post | Published December 21, 2018

Advertisement

ROCHESTER — In the Dec. 18, 1914, issue of the Rochester ERA newspaper, the local grocer, Edwin A. Hudson, advertised his holiday eats. The advertisement states that “Hudson’s ‘Eats’ are always just a little better than the other fellow’s, but this fact stands out a little more prominent at this season of the year.”

E.A. Hudson’s was located on the southeast corner of Main Street and Fifth Street — now University Drive — in what was known as the Smith block. Before large chain stores and supermarkets, local grocers were essential to their communities, offering canned goods, flour, fish and more.

— Rochester Hills Museum at Van Hoosen Farm

Advertisement