Looking Back: Clyde Schmidt

Shelby - Utica News | Published March 4, 2015

Advertisement

This photo portrait is of Clyde Schmidt, Shelby Township’s first full-time fire chief, who served from 1957-1981. The township’s Fire Department was established in 1953 and, by the following year, consisted of two fire stations — one at the Town Hall on Van Dyke and one on Ryan Road near Auburn Road — which were staffed by volunteer firefighters.

In early 1955, the Fire Department responded to its first call for a fire on Hamlin Road. Before this time, township residents had to rely on neighboring fire departments to fight fires. Today, the Shelby Township Fire Department has four stations staffed by full-time firefighters.

Photo and caption courtesy of Hilary Davis, of the Shelby Township Historical Committee

Advertisement