Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Looking Back: Jennie Mower sells ladies wear

Rochester Post | Published January 16, 2018

Photo provided by the Rochester Hills Museum


ROCHESTER — The Jennie Mower Dry Good and Millinery store provided local residents with clothing, shoes, hats, curtains and more between 1900 and 1910. 

The store was located in the building known as the Masonic Block, located at the northeast corner of Main and Fourth streets. The Masonic Block was constructed in 1899 with funding from the Rochester Building Association. 

The Masonic Block was designed by architect Edward Prall in the Romanesque revival style and features rock-faced sandstone trimmed with limestone. Prall also designed the Traverse City Opera House and several of the buildings at the former Traverse City State Hospital. 

In 1910, Jenny Mower’s was replaced by Hagen-Proud Co., which advertised clothing items. In 1934, the space in the Masonic Block was bought out by Kroger. Today, the building holds a jewelry store and a frozen yogurt shop. 

The Masonic Block is listed on the State Register of Historic Places and features a Michigan State Historic Marker on its south wall.