Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Indiana man charged with stalking Royal Oak woman

By: Sarah Wojcik | Royal Oak Review | Published May 8, 2019




ROYAL OAK — On May 7, a 42-year-old Indiana man was arraigned in the 44th District Court on a felony charge for allegedly stalking a Royal Oak woman.

Police said that Steven Craig Mason initially began stalking the woman — who did not know his identity — when she lived in Indiana in 2001 by making threatening phone calls, and neighbors reported seeing an unknown man several times in different vehicles outside her apartment complex.

In 2004, the woman moved to Michigan and the calls continued until she made efforts to conceal her identity; however, in December 2018, she contacted Royal Oak police to report having received a call from a blocked number on her cellphone and having recognized the voice as the same one from the threatening phone calls in Indiana, police said.

He “made threats to find her and sexually assault her,” and he informed her that he had spent years trying to locate her, according to police.

Lt. Keith Spencer, of the Royal Oak Police Department, said detectives tracked the blocked number to a home in Anderson, Indiana, where Mason lived with his mother, and in conjunction with the Anderson Police Department, obtained a search warrant for the home.

Mason admitted to stalking the Royal Oak woman, as well as thousands of other women, according to a police press release. During the search, Department of Homeland Security personnel confiscated his computer, according to the press release. Police said Homeland Security is working to identify other possible victims.

“We’re not releasing how this man knew her at this point,” Spencer said.

Police said in the press release that Mason’s mother was fully cooperative with investigators and told them that she was “terrified” of her son.

“(She was terrified of him) because of his behavior and just the way he acted,” Spencer said. “She lived in complete fear of this guy to the point that she kept a Taser and pepper spray.”

He said Mason does not have any assaultive convictions; his criminal history includes a conviction in Indiana for operating while intoxicated.

Spencer said Royal Oak police picked up Mason from the Madison County Jail in Indiana after he was arrested on other charges when the search warrant was conducted.

“Royal Oak detectives did an outstanding job with this case. This victim and potentially many others have been living in a state of constant fear,” Royal Oak Police Chief Corrigan O’Donohue said in a prepared statement. “We are glad, after all these years, to give this young woman some peace.”

Judge Jamie Wittenberg arraigned Mason on one count of aggravated stalking, a felony that carries a penalty of up to five years in prison. He set Mason’s bond at $10,000 cash, no 10%. Mason’s next court date is scheduled for 9 a.m. May 17 before 44th District Court Judge Derek Meinecke.

Mason requested a court-appointed attorney, but one had not yet been appointed by press time.