Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Home invasion suspect found dead after attacking elderly man in Rochester Hills

By: Mary Beth Almond | Rochester Post | Published September 25, 2019


A 44-year-old man died after breaking into a Rochester Hills condominium and brutally attacking a 90-year-old man Sept. 23, according to police.

Deputies from the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office’s Rochester Hills substation were dispatched to the 1600 block of Huntington Park after a neighbor discovered a broken lower-level window and blood on the front door of his elderly neighbor’s condo. 

Deputies made entry to the home and found a blood trail throughout the interior of the home. They heard a faint voice asking for help. They discovered a dead man in the doorway of one of the rooms and then located a 90-year-old man with visible injuries. 

“(The victim) had a lot of physical injuries. He was struck by a lamp, he was struck by a rather large chair, and he had also been bludgeoned by a pair of scissors,” said Capt. Michael Johnson.  

The victim told deputies he heard glass breaking in his home, went to investigate, and was attacked by the suspect. 

The suspect reportedly used furniture to go after the elderly man and stated he wanted to see someone die before he killed himself, according to reports.

The suspect, who was unknown to the victim, reportedly stopped the attack when the victim pretended to be dead. Soon after, police said, the suspect — who was pronounced dead at the scene — collapsed and died due to wounds he had received when he came through the victim’s window. 

“He had a large cut to his leg, and we believe that he cut his leg on the glass when he was entering the residence,” said Johnson. 

The Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office was scheduled to conduct an autopsy Sept. 24. The results were not available at press time.

“My guess is it will probably be about six weeks before we have all the results,” Johnson said. “We definitely have an idea of what the cause of death is, but we still have to wait for the toxicology reports.”

The victim, who was transported to a hospital, was listed in serious but stable condition at press time. 

Detectives are continuing their investigation.

Call Staff Writer Mary Beth Almond at (586) 498-1060.