Police arrest fugitive following chase, alleged crime spree

By: Victoria Mitchell | Royal Oak Review | Published September 8, 2016




A fugitive out of Tennessee with an extensive criminal history was arrested Sept. 2 after what law enforcement officials described as a multistate crime spree that ended in downtown Royal Oak following several attempts to break free from police.

Timothy England, 37, was charged with one count of stolen property of a motor vehicle, stolen property of a financial transaction device, possession of a controlled substance less than 25 grams and two counts of resisting arrest.

According to a police statement, England was wanted for escaping the custody of Tennessee authorities Aug. 30 while awaiting trial for bank robbery and brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence.

At the time of his Royal Oak arrest, police said, he was in possession of a stolen vehicle out of North Carolina and a stolen credit card out of Virginia. The credit card was reported stolen a few hours after the vehicle was reported stolen on Aug. 31, according to police.

Royal Oak Police Chief Corrigan O’Donohue said during a Sept. 7 press conference that the suspect allegedly had stolen another vehicle and ditched it before taking the vehicle in which he was found.

O’Donohue said the Royal Oak incident began at about 6:30 p.m. Sept. 2 when Officer Richard Chipman, who was on patrol, observed England acting suspiciously in the parking lot of McDonald’s at 423 W. 11 Mile Road.

Chipman continued to watch England as he entered a vehicle in the McDonald’s parking lot and attempted to inject himself with cocaine, police said.

The incident occurred one block from the annual Ford Arts, Beats & Eats Labor Day weekend festival.

According to the statement, “Chipman attempted to remove England from the vehicle, and England immediately resisted.

“After a short struggle, he broke free of the officer and started to flee on foot. The officer gave chase and quickly caught England, and a second struggle ensued.”

O’Donohue said that during the struggle, England repeatedly attempted to stab the officer with a syringe before breaking free a second time.

Chipman then caught England as he attempted to squeeze through a narrow gap in the wall in an alcove of the North Lafayette parking structure.

“He actually got himself stuck a little bit,” O’Donohue said.

“Backup officers arrived and deployed a Taser, after which England gave up resisting and was taken into custody,” police said in the statement.

In addition to narcotics, officers found a realistic-looking toy handgun and a bank robbery note, police said, which they are investigating.

Police said England collapsed after arrest and was hospitalized immediately with an unknown medical issue. He remained hospitalized Sept. 7.

“We kept him under armed guard since Friday,” O’Donohue said. “We’ve been sitting on him because we were unable to get fingerprints at that time.”

O’Donohue said they could not book him nor could they take his fingerprints because he was hospitalized.

Police said that because of the holiday weekend, it was not until Tuesday that Royal Oak police officers discovered that England was a wanted man.

“We had very strong suspicions that this guy was a serious individual,” O’Donohue said. “It is unusual for someone to just not tell us who they are once they are caught, but this individual is still not cooperating.”

O’Donohue said England does have some ties to downriver Michigan, but it is unknown why he was in Royal Oak. Police believe he was in the area since Aug. 31.

The police statement said that the Royal Oak Police Department Criminal Investigations Division, in conjunction with the FBI, was looking into other crimes that England may have committed after his escape on Aug. 30.

“This individual has a long criminal history and a violent past, and like I said, I have no doubt he was definitely up to no good while he was in Royal Oak,” O’Donohue said.

Police said England's criminal history includes convictions for robbery, aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, felony drug possession, auto theft, fleeing and eluding, and contraband in a penal facility.

England was arraigned from the hospital via video Sept. 7 by 44th District Court Judge Jamie Wittenberg. England’s bond was set at $100,000.

England pleaded not guilty to the charges and asked for a court-appointed attorney. An attorney had not been assigned as of press time.

England is scheduled to appear again in 44th District Court at 9 a.m. Sept. 20.

O’Donohue said the Royal Oak Police Department will work with other law enforcement agencies regarding prosecution and extradition.

“I would just like to commend the officer involved. He did a great job; we took this violent individual into custody,” O’Donohue said. “I have no doubt that he was in the area looking to commit another crime.”