Franklin, Beverly Hills road projects among those to receive federal funding

By: Brendan Losinski | Birmingham - Bloomfield Eagle | Published February 15, 2017

Advertisement

BEVERLY HILLS — The Oakland County Federal Aid Committee announced Feb. 7 a number of new road projects to receive federal funding in 2020.

The committee is made up of 14 members, including two from the Road Commission for Oakland County, one from the Michigan Department of Transportation, one from the Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation busing system, and 10 who represent the 61 cities, villages and townships in the county. Projects were selected for 2020 funding through a majority vote.

“The committee had a tough task selecting 2020 projects,” Road Commission Managing Director Dennis Kolar stated in a press release, adding that “$16.4 million in federal funding will be available in 2020, and requests totaling more than $72 million were received. We are pleased that federal aid is available to assist with the long list of needs throughout the county.”

Selected projects entail resurfacing work on federal-aid-eligible roads in 13 communities throughout Oakland County. There were two more intensive resurfacing projects selected — one in West Bloomfield Township, on Pontiac Trail from Green Lake Road to Arrowhead, and the other at a yet-to-be determined location in Oakland County.

Projects in Beverly Hills will include work on 13 Mile Road, between Evergreen Road and Southfield Road. Projects in Franklin will include work on Franklin Road, between 13 Mile Road and 14 Mile Road, as well as between the village’s southern border and 13 Mile Road in Southfield. The Beverly Hills project will receive $1,398,506 in federal dollars, and the two Franklin projects will receive $378,736 and $458,031, respectively.

The $16.4 million in federal funding will cover 80 percent of the cost of the selected projects. The remaining 20 percent must come from local sources.

“We’ve been putting in for this funding for some time; this is very welcome news,” remarked Franklin Village Manager Jim Creech. “We’ve already set aside some money for our portion of the cost. The money will be very well-used. There’s a lot of traffic on those roads, and Franklin just takes a lot of wear and tear. The damage isn’t too bad in a lot of spots, but we like to catch them before they become a problem.”

Advertisement