Attention Readers
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, C & G Newspapers has temporarily suspended its print publications. We look forward to resuming our print operation in the coming weeks. In the meantime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter. We hope you stay healthy and safe.

Firefighters rescue dog from house fire

By: Eric Czarnik | Sterling Heights Sentry | Published June 30, 2016

 Firefighters pose with a rescued dog, identified as Bella, June 30. The dog was reportedly rescued from a Sterling Heights house fire.

Firefighters pose with a rescued dog, identified as Bella, June 30. The dog was reportedly rescued from a Sterling Heights house fire.

Photo provided by the Sterling Heights Fire Department

Advertisement

The Sterling Heights Fire Department rescued a pet from a burning home June 30.

At around 10 a.m., the Fire Department learned of a house fire in the 8700 block of Shannon Drive, a bit north of the intersection of Clinton River Road and Riverland Drive, according to Sterling Heights Fire Chief Chris Martin.

“The report was there was heavy smoke coming from the house and … there might be an occupant in the house,” he said.

Martin said fire apparatuses from three fire stations responded to the report and joined forces to quench the fire. When firefighters arrived, they entered the house and began searching for someone to rescue.

But all they found was a small dog that the Fire Department identified as Bella. Martin did not know Bella’s age or breed, but he said “the homeowner was watching the dog for a friend.”

Martin said the fire was caused by an oven.

“The resident had put the oven on self-clean,” he said. “The oven got so hot in self-clean that it ignited some things that were on the countertop next to the oven. … The kitchen had a lot of fire damage, and there was smoke damage throughout the house.”

Martin said the home’s damage was estimated at $100,000. Although he said not all of his fire safety advice applies in this incident, he shared several tips to prevent similar accidents from occurring.

“We suggest that, first off, you don't put your oven on self-clean if you’re not at home,” he said. “(Ovens) get very hot. Don’t store any combustibles next to your stove or oven.”

Martin also recommended that people clean any big chunks or scraps out of an oven before turning it to self-clean, and no combustibles should be put inside an oven.

Anyone who has more information about this incident should contact the Sterling Heights Fire Department at (586) 446-2950.

Advertisement