Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Fire in chimney sparks blaze

By: Terry Oparka | Troy Times | Published January 13, 2020

 Firefighters stretch hand lines to prepare to douse flames in a chimney fire Jan. 12.

Firefighters stretch hand lines to prepare to douse flames in a chimney fire Jan. 12.

Photo provided by the Troy Fire Department

Advertisement

Firefighters were called to a two-story home on Bristol Drive, near Wattles and Rochester roads, just after 2:45 p.m. Jan. 12 on a report of a chimney fire. 

According to the press release, the caller reported crackling in the walls and smoke filling the home. 

The caller was told to evacuate and wait outside for the Fire Department, according to the release. 

Firefighters arrived to find a fire and all occupants reportedly out of the home. 

Crews entered the home to extinguish the flames, prevent extension of the fire into the attic space and search the home to ensure all occupants were out, according to the release. Firefighters ventilated the smoke and opened the attic and surrounding walls to check for extension. 

The flames exited the home at the second floor. 

Quick action by firefighters prevented the fire from spreading, according to the release. 

The origin of the fire appears to be in the fireplace/chimney; Troy Assistant Fire Chief Riesterer said there was a fire in the fireplace when the chimney caught fire. He said it is not known what was burning in the fireplace, and the fire remains under investigation. 

Damage estimates are incomplete but are expected to exceed $50,000, according to the release. 

Noone was hurt in the incident. The home is uninhabitable until sufficient repairs are completed, the release states. 

Riesterer advised everyone to have their fireplace checked to ensure it is in good working order at the beginning and end of the burning season, and more often for people who do a lot of burning. 

To locate a qualified chimney sweep, visit csia.org, he said. 

Call Staff Writer Terry Oparka at (586) 498-1054. 

Advertisement