Fire department extinguishes fire that originated in home’s heating system

By: Kara Szymanski | Shelby - Utica News | Published April 6, 2021

Advertisement

SHELBY TOWNSHIP —  The Shelby Township Fire Department recently put out a house fire that is believed to have begun in the heating system.

At approximately 1:19 p.m. March 18, firefighters were called to the 10000 block of 23 Mile Road between Van Dyke Avenue and the M-53 Expressway for a reported fire in a home. Firefighters responded to a single-story residential structure with smoke coming from it.  

John McCoy, Shelby Township Fire Department assistant fire chief, said the department believes the fire originated in the boiler of the home’s heating system.

“The resident came home to find smoke in the home and called 911. Fire crews entered the home and discovered the fire appeared to have started by the boiler in the home. No injuries were reported and several pets were successfully saved from the home by the homeowner,” said McCoy.

At 1:20 p.m., the first engine crew arrived on the scene and reported that smoke was coming from the rear and roof of the home. As additional crews arrived, they assisted with ventilation, extinguishment and removal of the heating system, and overhaul of the fire. The crews searched for any additional fire and did find some fire extension under the home in the crawl space.

The homeowner, who was in the home at the time of the incident, called 911, evacuated the home and reported to the dispatcher that no one else was in the home. The fire was reported under control at approximately 2:15 p.m. with no resident or firefighter injuries being reported.

DTE and Consumers Energy were requested to the scene to confirm that all utilities were shut off and that they were not the source of the fire. Fire crews cleared the scene at 2:50 p.m.

Steven Henion, Shelby Township fire marshal, said that it is important to have a plan to get out of the house in the event there is a fire.

“Our highly trained and extremely proficient firefighters from A-shift were quick to extinguish the fire. The homeowner, upon noticing smoke, did the right thing by exiting the home and calling 911. We remind our residents that in the case of a fire to always evacuate your residence and then call 911. Please have an evacuation plan in place in case of a fire, and practice your escape plan. Additionally, always have at least two ways out of every room in the event of an emergency,” said Henion.

Advertisement