Ferndale Police Chief Dennis Emmi speaks at a press conference at Ferndale City Hall Nov. 19 about the abduction of a 16-year-old Ferndale High School student. Two people have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Ferndale Police Chief Dennis Emmi speaks at a press conference at Ferndale City Hall Nov. 19 about the abduction of a 16-year-old Ferndale High School student. Two people have been arrested in connection with the incident.

Photo by Mike Koury

Ferndale residents charged in abduction, sexual assault of teen

By: Mike Koury | Woodward Talk | Published November 20, 2021






FERNDALE — A Ferndale man and woman have been charged in connection with the kidnapping of a teenage girl at gunpoint.

Kahlil Floyd, 44, and Jessica Quick, 45, both from Ferndale, were arraigned before Magistrate J. Patrick Brennan Nov. 19 at the 43rd District Court for allegedly abducting a 16-year-old girl, who police said was tortured and sexually assaulted in the incident.

In a press conference before the arraignment, Ferndale Police Chief Dennis Emmi stated that the incident began at 11 a.m. Nov. 17. The teen, a student at Ferndale High School, went to the Sunoco gas station near Pinecrest Drive and Eight Mile Road while on her way to the Center for Advanced Studies and the Arts, as she was between classes at the time.

At the gas station, Emmi said, the girl was forced into her vehicle at gunpoint allegedly by Floyd.

Police elaborated during a court hearing that Floyd attempted to make small talk with the girl, but she ignored him. According to police, Floyd admitted in a post-Miranda rights interview to going into his vehicle, retrieving a firearm and forcing the girl into her own vehicle at gunpoint and driving them away from the scene.

Floyd allegedly took the teen to his home on Grayson Street in Ferndale where they met with Quick. Police stated the teen was left unattended in a room while Floyd spoke with Quick, at which point the girl fled out of the home. 

Floyd allegedly chased the teen and, police said, admitted to taking her to a shed, restraining her ankles and wrists, blindfolding her, covering her mouth and sexually assaulting her.

Police said Quick moved the teen’s vehicle back to the gas station and returned home, where she and Floyd rode bicycles back to the station to retrieve his vehicle.

When the teen’s friends realized she was missing, they contacted the girl’s mother, Emmi said.

“The student was between classes and had left school property when this occurred. Her friends were quick to recognize that something was wrong,” he said.

The mother checked the location of her daughter’s phone and tracked her to the area of the gas station, where police stated she saw Floyd and Quick in the teen’s vehicle.

The mother confronted the two. Police said Floyd exited the vehicle with a firearm and stole the woman’s phone and keys and fled the area. The mother would find someone to use their phone to call authorities.

When police were notified of the situation, Emmi stated, the FBI Oakland County Gang and Violent Crimes Task Force was called to assist with the investigation. 

Police said Floyd returned to the Grayson home, took the girl from the shed and brought her to a vacant apartment in Farmington Hills, where he allegedly sexually assaulted her again. Floyd started to drive back with the teen to the Ferndale home, but police said that he was alerted by Quick not to do so as police were in the area. At some point, the girl was able to escape the vehicle. Authorities also were able to track down Floyd’s vehicle during this time and arrest him after the teen had escaped.

The girl was recovered at approximately 4:30 p.m. and returned to her family.

Emmi said without the efforts of the teen’s friends and family, the incident might’ve had a different ending.

“Her friends were aware of her whereabouts,” he said. “They suspected right away that something had happened and they knew to be concerned. They were looking out for her safety. Their instincts and their actions helped us recover her safely and find the suspects involved. This is a much different outcome than what it could have been, and it’s a testament to their actions.”

Emmi called the abduction one that was a “crime of opportunity” and said that Floyd and Quick were the only two involved and that this wasn’t a case of human trafficking.

The teen, he said, was “at the wrong place at the wrong time.”

“This case, it is random,” stated Emmi. “It is incredibly rare and it is scary. That’s why we’re relieved to tell you that they’re both in custody and that it doesn't appear to be a threat to the community anymore.”

Floyd was charged with 18 felonies: one count of kidnapping; nine counts of felony firearm; two counts of armed robbery; one count of torture; one count of unlawful imprisonment; and four counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct.

Quick was charged with one count of kidnapping and one count of accessory after the fact for armed robbery and/or unlawful imprisonment.

Floyd was denied bond while Quick was given a $1 million cash or surety bond.

Oakland County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Tricia Dare stated that Quick worked with vulnerable, at-risk children, but Quick did nothing to help the girl. Dare also stated that Quick took steps to help Floyd, including running out of the home to locate the teen after she escaped, and that Quick knew that a sexual assault was happening in the shed.

“In this case, the facts are very terrifying and she was an active participant,” Dare said. “This is not an individual who should be released into society.”

Speaking to Brennan in an attempt to lower the bond, Quick’s attorney, Bradley Friedman, argued that his client made no admissions of having knowledge of anything happening at the home. He stated that Quick was involved in an emotionally and physically abusive relationship and “feared for her life” due to Floyd.

“She’s lived a life of terror,” he said. “She’s been abused by him physically and emotionally and, quite frankly, scared out of her mind.”

Brennan decided to keep the bond at $1 million. He also stated that Floyd will receive a court-appointed attorney.

The next scheduled court dates at the 43rd District Court for both Floyd and Quick are Nov. 29 for a probable cause conference and Dec. 6 for a preliminary exam. 

“It is a terrible, horrific, traumatic event and … my heart goes out to this family,” Emmi said. “They’re a longtime Ferndale family. They’re a part of this community and the whole community is suffering as a result of this. The only consolation is the people that committed the crime are in custody.”