Farmington Press crime briefs for March 6-16

By: Jonathan Shead | Farmington Press | Published April 4, 2020


Catalytic converter stolen from business van 

FARMINGTON HILLS — Police were dispatched to Warner, Cantrell & Padmos Inc., 27300 Haggerty Road, at 9:40 a.m. March 16 after the business owner, a 69-year-old Boyne City man, reported the catalytic converter was stolen from the company’s van, a 2002 Ford Econoline Van. 

The owner told police the van was last used at 4 p.m. March 9. 

At press time, no suspects were known. 


Heroin confiscated after man seeks medical assistance 

FARMINGTON HILLS — A 66-year-old Detroit man sought medical assistance at Beaumont Hospital Farmington Hills at 5:43 p.m. March 11, after he suspected he had used heroin that was laced. Police were called to the hospital to retrieve and confiscate the heroin. 

The man was being treated in the emergency room when police arrived. He voluntarily admitted himself to the hospital and turned over the heroin to a nurse. 

The Detroit man told police he had purchased approximately 1 gram of heroin at a bus stop near 7 Mile and Burt roads in Detroit at around 4:30 p.m. from an unknown male. He paid $10 and then began to ingest it through his nose. 

The man told police he had used heroin before, but the heroin bought in the incident made him feel different than previous uses. Police said the man was not arrested because he had sought medical attention for a drug-related issue. 


Driver cited for illegal dumping 

FARMINGTON — A local spa employee contacted Farmington Public Safety March 4 to report that an unknown person allegedly had illegally dumped a wooden pallet at the business’s dumpster. 

Police investigated the report and were able to tack down the suspect, who was a delivery driver. The driver was cited for illegal dumping. 


Concerned resident calls about smoke odor 

FARMINGTON — Farmington Public Safety officers and Engine 1 responded to the 33000 block of Shiawassee Road March 6 for a report that a smokey order was in a building.

When police arrived at the scene, they determined that a next-door neighbor to the resident who had called in the report had been using their fireplace. Somehow, the odor from the fire seeped into the neighbor’s home. 

Public safety officers checked the building, but found no fire present. 


— Jonathan Shead