Dog dies in St. Clair Shores house fire

By: Kristyne E. Demske | St. Clair Shores Sentinel | Published October 7, 2019


A neighbor called for help the afternoon of Oct. 1 as flames reached the second story of the home behind them.

“The fire was rolling. It had a really good head start on us,” said Fire Marshal M. Bodnar of the St. Clair Shores Fire Department. 

No one was home around 1:43 p.m. Oct. 1 when firefighters were dispatched to the 21000 block of Evergreen Street, but the neighbor to the rear of the home happened to see the blaze when it reached the second story.

“It looks like the fire was burning for a really, really long time,” Bodnar said. “It was a challenge, but the guys put a stop to it.”

The homeowner’s golden retriever dog died as a result of the fire.

Bodnar said the exact cause of the fire hasn’t been determined, but it seems to have been an electrical fire in the house that began between the first and second stories of the house.

“The damage is very substantial,” Bodnar said.

The heat and humidity of the day, as well as 10 mph winds, likely contributed to the spread of the fire, she said. It was about 83 degrees with nearly 60% humidity at the time of the blaze. 

And although firefighters didn’t hear any smoke detectors sounding when they arrived at the house, “that doesn’t mean they weren’t there,” Bodnar said.