Detroit mourns fallen police officer

By: Brendan Losinski | Advertiser Times | Published January 29, 2018

 Detroit police officer Glenn Doss Jr., seen here with his young son, Eli, was killed in the line of duty after responding to a domestic disturbance call on the city’s east side Jan. 24.

Detroit police officer Glenn Doss Jr., seen here with his young son, Eli, was killed in the line of duty after responding to a domestic disturbance call on the city’s east side Jan. 24.

Photo provided by the Detroit Police Department



DETROIT — The city of Detroit is in mourning following the death of Detroit police officer Glenn Doss Jr., who fell in the line of duty.

The 25-year-old Doss died Jan. 28 as the result of gunshot wounds suffered while responding to a domestic violence call Jan. 24. Decharlos O. Brooks, 43, of Detroit, who lived at the residence in question, has been charged in the shooting.

“(Doss) fought a good fight. He is truly what we call one of Detroit’s finest. He is what we call an American hero,” said Detroit Police Chief James Craig during a press conference released on social media. “He did what we expect each and every officer to do: to go out and serve this community with distinction and honor.”

On the day of the incident, at 10:09 p.m., Detroit police officers were dispatched to a house in the 5500 block of McDougall Street for reports of shots fired. According to a statement made by Assistant Police Chief LaShinda Stair, two calls were made to 911 describing a violent disturbance — one believed to be by Brooks’ daughter, and the other believed to have been by Brooks himself.

Doss was riding in the passenger seat of one of the lead cars when police observed Brooks outside the house with a gun, according to Stair. Shots were fired and Doss was wounded twice, at least once in the head, Stair said. Another DPD patrol car took fire, but there were no additional injuries, according to Stair.

After allegedly pointing the weapon at other officers, Brooks then allegedly barricaded himself inside the home, although his wife and children were able to leave prior to this occurring, Stair said. The family reportedly informed police that Brooks had mental issues, although there was no known medical documentation to confirm this, according to Detroit police. A standoff between Brooks and the police ensued, Stair said.

The DPD Special Response Team threw tear gas into the home and Brooks attempted to run, but was immediately captured by police, according to Craig.

“I want to also thank the officers who responded right after this tragic situation,” said Craig. “They responded, they responded appropriately, and they also took fire. And then after that issue was resolved to a point, then our Special Response Team, the SRT, came in, and through their commitment, their diligence, they were able to take the suspect into custody without further incident.”

Doss was transported to Detroit Receiving Hospital by fellow officer Samuel Anderson, where Doss received care and underwent surgery. He died at approximately 1 p.m. Jan. 28, Craig said during the press conference.

“We know that (Anderson’s) quick and decisive action in getting his partner to the hospital prevented his death at the scene,” said Craig. “He is also who I call an American hero, and I am thankful for his courage, commitment and dedication.”

Doss, a two-year veteran of the Detroit Police Department, “came from a family of police officers” according to Stair, including Doss’ father, active-duty officer Glenn Doss Sr. He also is survived by his girlfriend of nine years, Emily Crouse, and their son, 9-month-old Eli.

“I want to thank God for the 25 years he allowed me the honor and the pleasure to raise such a great young man who was so positive and who was so humble; never gave me a bit of problem at all,” said Doss’ father at the same press conference that was published on social media.

“I thank God for the great DPD support system and peer group that the department has established to support families in times like these,” he said.

He asked people to pray for his family and to attend his son’s funeral.

Brooks was arraigned Jan. 27 in 34th District Court. He was charged with eight counts of assault with intent to murder, seven counts of resisting and obstructing, one count of carrying a dangerous weapon and 17 counts of felony firearm. On Jan. 29, the Wayne County Prosecutor’s office amended the charges to include first-degree murder and murder of a peace officer.

“The hearts of the men and women of the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office are heavy today, but our resolve is strong to bring the defendant to justice,” said Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy in a press release. “Brooks is now facing murder charges for his alleged actions. The death of Officer Doss illustrates once again the extreme danger involved for police officers in domestic violence cases. We must protect our officers, and pay very serious attention to domestic violence issues.”

A probable cause conference for Brooks has been scheduled for 8:30 a.m. on Feb. 6 in 36th District Court in Detroit. Brook’s attorney information was not immediately available.