Attention Readers: Find Us in Your Mailbox Soon
With the coronavirus stats going in the right direction, all of us at C&G Newspapers look forward to resuming publication of the St. Clair Shores Sentinel and Birmingham-Bloomfield Eagle on May 27th. All other C&G newspapers will begin publishing on June 10th (Advertiser-Times on June 24th). In the meantime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Clinton Township man arrested, charged after allegedly strangling, tying up woman

By: Nick Mordowanec | Fraser - Clinton Township Chronicle | Published April 22, 2019



CLINTON TOWNSHIP — A Clinton Township man was arraigned April 22 after allegedly strangling a woman and stealing her engagement ring.

Clinton Township Police Department officials stated that on April 2, Shane David Fountain, 48, of Clinton Township, allegedly strangled a 27-year-old woman and then tied her up in a garage before skipping town.

According to Clinton Township Police Capt. Richard Maierle, the victim had been renting a room in her home to Fountain for about 10 months.

Amtrak Police Department officials arrested Fountain at a train station April 10 in Washington, D.C. The suspect waived extradition, was brought back to Michigan and was arraigned on three felony counts, including assault with intent to rob while unharmed, assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, and unlawful imprisonment.

“It’s my understanding he was trying to go south,” Maierle said.

The first charge is punishable by up to 15 years in prison; the second charge is punishable by up to 10 years in prison or a $5,000 fine; and the third charge is punishable by up to 15 years and/or a $20,000 fine.

A separate press release issued by the Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office provided more details on what allegedly occurred April 2.

Fountain allegedly asked his female landlord/roommate to open the garage for him. He then allegedly approached the subject from behind, choking her and reportedly saying, “Sorry, this will all be over soon,” according to the Prosecutor’s Office.

The woman, struggling to breathe and feeling lightheaded, reportedly faked being unconscious in an effort to convince the suspect to let go of her.

Fountain then allegedly used duct tape to tie the woman’s hands behind her back, tape her mouth shut, and tie her ankles together. Then he removed the engagement ring from her finger, as well as a phone in her pocket.

After Fountain left the house, the victim reportedly used the metal edge of a nearby shovel to cut herself loose from the duct tape. She then ran inside the home, screaming to her other roommates. Emergency personnel were called. Her fiancé came home and took her to McLaren Macomb Hospital.

A “be on the lookout” alert was put out to all surrounding police departments.

Officials later found the ring, which had been appraised for $17,000, at a pawn shop in Detroit. Fountain reportedly sold it for $3,000. A warrant was issued for Fountain’s arrest.

When caught in Washington, D.C., it appeared that Fountain was on his way to Florida, according to officials. Clinton Township police transported Fountain back to Clinton Township on April 18.

On April 22, Fountain was arraigned in the 41-B District Court. Magistrate Ryan Zemke issued a $100,000 cash/surety bond.

“This obviously was a terrifying experience for the complainant,” Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith stated in the press release. “This was fantastic police work by Clinton Township to coordinate with Amtrak and D.C. police to get the suspect arrested.

“My office has already begun working diligently to deliver justice for the complainant and ensure this defendant cannot commit such violence on anyone in the future.”

At press time, no information for an attorney for Fountain was available.