Bobchick receives similar sentence for second MIP

By: Sarah Wojcik | Shelby - Utica News | Published March 4, 2016




On March 3, 41-A District Court Judge Douglas Shepherd agreed to sentence Gregory Bobchick, 18, of Shelby Township, under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act in regard to his second minor in possession charge.

Under HYTA, if Bobchick complies with his sentencing guidelines and restrictions, the conviction will be erased from his record. The misdemeanor carries a $100 fine and/or 90-day jail sentence.

Bobchick pleaded no contest to the MIP, which stemmed from a July 4 incident in which his father called police to take him to the hospital for an evaluation, and his blood alcohol content was 0.06.

Bobchick’s father, Gregory Bobchick Sr., said his son “wasn’t right” July 4 because of a traumatic head injury he sustained in a triple-fatal May 8 car crash at Stony Creek Metropark. Bobchick and the other crash survivor, Joseph Narra, were both passengers and charged with MIPs in August in relation to the single-car crash.

Under HYTA and pending good behavior, Narra is set to have his MIP charge dismissed April 1.

Shepherd deferred Bobchick’s case under HYTA for 12 months and mandated that Bobchick return to the court for a re-evaluation in five months, when his probation with the 42-1 District Court in Romeo expires.

“In the meantime, I’m going to waive the fines and costs on this matter,” Shepherd said. “No alcohol, no illegal drugs, continue with whatever testing (42-1 District Court) Judge (Denis) LeDuc ordered in terms of frequency and the nature of testing.”

LeDuc ordered Bobchick to pay $400 in fines and costs, serve six months of supervised probation, continue random testing once weekly, receive no further charges, choose his friends carefully, live at his parents’ residence, not consume alcohol or controlled substances and follow all treatment prescribed by his doctors and counselors.

Shepherd also mandated that Bobchick receive no further criminal arrests or tickets and not hang out with any friends engaging in illegal activities.

“After therapy and everything, I learned not to freak out about things you can’t control,” Bobchick told Shepherd. “I’ve learned my lesson.”

Bobchick Sr. said his son was doing well and has been testing clean for the past eight months. He said the road to recovery would be long and tough, but that he was proud of him.

“This is a case where there are no winners, only losers,” said David Griem, Bobchick’s defense attorney. “(Gregory) literally bears the physical scars of that accident, but even more difficult, he bears the emotional scars from that accident.”