Attention Readers: We're Back
C&G Newspapers is pleased to have resumed publication. For the time being, our papers will publish on a biweekly basis as we work toward our return to weekly papers. In between issues, and anytime, continue to find local news on our website and look for us on Facebook and Twitter.

Looking Back: Grace Hotel

Farmington Press | Published December 6, 2017

FARMINGTON — Grace Hotel in downtown Farmington was built on the north side of Grand River Avenue in 1915 by Benjamin Grace. 

In the hotel’s early years, people could rent a room for $1.50 per day. Dances were held regularly in the third-floor ballroom, drawing as many as 100 couples by horse and buggy from the surrounding area for an evening of dancing and fun. 

Grace Hotel was demolished for parking in June 1965. Grace Insurance Agency, located partially on that site today, reflects the family name.

— Maria Taylor, co-founder of Preservation Farmington