A ribbon cutting ceremony was held Jan. 13 to officially open the new Peck Elementary School in Center Line Public Schools.

A ribbon cutting ceremony was held Jan. 13 to officially open the new Peck Elementary School in Center Line Public Schools.

Photo by Deb Jacques


New Peck Elementary School opens its doors

By: Maria Allard | Warren Weekly | Published January 25, 2021

  Kindergarten teacher Carrie Miller’s new classroom was ready for students when they returned Jan. 14.

Kindergarten teacher Carrie Miller’s new classroom was ready for students when they returned Jan. 14.

Photo by Deb Jacques

Advertisement

CENTER LINE — When Peck Elementary School students returned to class in a hybrid format Jan. 14, they were welcomed back inside the walls of a brand-new school building.

On Jan. 13, Center Line Public Schools officials and Peck staff gathered outside for a brief ribbon cutting ceremony to officially open the new May V. Peck Elementary and Early Childhood Center located at 26201 Lorraine in Center Line.

CLPS Superintendent Joseph Haynes welcomed everyone to the ribbon cutting, where he thanked all those involved for making the new Peck building possible. Center Line Mayor Bob Binson also said a few words to signify the occasion.

“Thank you for your commitment to our kids,” Binson said. “I’m very happy to have an elementary school back in Center Line.”

The new Peck, built on the former CLHS outdoor track, will serve as the educational foundation for the student body. Academics will be at the forefront, and memories will be made as teachers and their students bond over mathematics, science, English and more for years to come.

The new Peck features several classrooms, a gymnasium, a cafeteria, a media center with a computer lab, a storage space, an outdoor classroom, and more. There also are two makerspace areas, one for the lower elementary students and one for the upper elementary classes.

A makerspace is basically a communal public workshop in which students can work on small personal projects. The Early Childhood Center, or ECC, previously located on Cunningham Street in Warren, will have its own entrance and share facilities with Peck. Debbie Krause is the ECC director.

The new Peck is one of many projects funded through the district’s $53.95 million bond issue that passed in November 2017. After the ribbon cutting, principal Meghan Evoy took the group on a tour of the new building, which includes a separate wing for the ECC.

Upon entering the school, a collection of flags from 22 countries that represent the nations of the students are displayed. Evoy said the long-term plan is to mount the flags, including placing the U.S. flag prominently in the front lobby. Educators looked forward to having the students back in school.

“I can’t wait,” kindergarten teacher Carrie Miller said. “I feel like it’s Christmas getting the kids. I can’t wait to see their faces when they come in.”

Haynes, named superintendent in July, is a 1986 Center Line High School graduate. He attended one year at the former Miller Elementary School, but spent most of his elementary years at Peck.

“As for memories, I remember establishing some wonderful childhood friendships and having dedicated teachers and staff that assisted me through some academic struggles,” Haynes said in a follow-up email.

Haynes described the new Peck as “absolutely awesome.”  

“The design of the classrooms and multipurpose rooms allows for a variety of direct instruction approaches and learning activities,” he said. “There is even an outdoor classroom. The technology in the building is up to date. The hallways are wide and bright. It is a very welcoming building.”

Currently, approximately 73% of the district’s students are in the hybrid program with the other 27% attending school in the virtual or Academy 21 program. Academy 21 was originally for secondary students, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the program is now available to elementary students as well.

The former ECC building will undergo renovations with bond issue dollars. Roose Elementary School in Warren will relocate to the former ECC site. Once the move occurs, the Roose building on Masch Avenue will be demolished.

The former Peck School, on Engleman Road in Warren, will become the Eve Kaltz Academy 21 and Special Programs Center. In July 2020, Kaltz retired as superintendent. She began working in the district in 1988 as a teacher and held several positions during her career.

School officials will hold open houses at the new Peck and Roose buildings, and the renovated Eve Kaltz Academy 21 building when things settle down with the COVID-19 pandemic.

Partners in Architecture PLC, based in Mount Clemens, are the architects for the bond projects. McCarthy and Smith, of Farmington Hills, is the construction manager.

Advertisement