Contractors installing air conditioner spark home fire

By: Terry Oparka | Troy Times | Published August 5, 2015

Advertisement

Contractors brazing pipes in the basement of a two-story home on Congress, near Rochester and Square Lake roads, started a fire in the chimney and walls just before 11 a.m. Aug. 5.

Troy Assistant Fire Chief David Roberts said the contractors were installing an air conditioning unit and unintentionally started the blaze.
According to reports, all residents of the home were accounted for, and there were no injuries.

Roberts said that the fire entered the wall and chimney space, then spread upwards toward the attic.

Firefighters removed parts of the ceiling and the wall, and put out the fire before it got to the attic, according to reports. Firefighters also ventilated smoke from the home, Roberts said.

Fire damage was confined to the great room, with minor smoke damage throughout the home. Firefighters were on the scene for an hour and a half.

Advertisement