Authorities say shooting incident began over weapon argument

Suspect spits at nurse in jail

By: Alex Szwarc | Mount Clemens - Clinton - Harrison Journal | Published March 4, 2021


MOUNT CLEMENS – Around 11 p.m. Feb. 21, Macomb County Sheriff’s Office deputies were dispatched to the area of North Broadway and Clemens Street for shots fired.

Dispatch relayed a description of the suspect to deputies, who arrested the suspect a short time later still in the vicinity.

On Feb. 24, the suspect was identified as 22-year-old Jamar Bannerman, of Mount Clemens.

Police said the victim, who had been shot in the upper right arm, was located at a nearby business. The male victim was transported to a nearby hospital and has since been released.

Authorities believe the incident began over an argument involving a weapon.

Deputies on scene recovered two weapons — a loaded .40-caliber handgun that was buried in the snow and a 9mm rifle that was inside a bag set on a trash can.

Both weapons, along with multiple shell casings, were taken as evidence.

A press release states that both guns are unregistered and that neither the suspect nor victim has a concealed pistol license.

Investigators have learned that the suspect and the victim are related to one another.

The victim is an 18-year-old from Mount Clemens.

Bannerman has been charged with two felonies: assault with intent to murder and firearm weapons.

Upon his lodging at the Macomb County Jail, police said Bannerman became agitated during the telephone registration process and slammed the phone down, damaging it.

He then attempted to strike one of the corrections deputies and had to be placed into a restraint chair. Police said as he was being checked by a jail staff nurse, Bannerman spit at the nurse and was placed into a spit mask.

For the jail incident, Bannerman was charged with two counts of assault of a prison employee and malicious destruction of a building, less than $200.

He was given a $100,000 bond and was scheduled to return to court on March 9.

Bannerman’s attorney, Marissa Kulcsar, did not return a request for comment as of press time.