C & G Publishing

Website Login

Looking Back


Looking Back: First United Methodist Church

Looking Back: First United Methodist ChurchThe First United Methodist Church of Berkley was founded in 1929, and this building on Oakwood Avenue was built in 1937 next to the Berkley Post Office to house the church.Oakwood Avenue was the original name for what is ...Read More




Looking Back: Kresge Co.

Looking Back: Kresge Co.In 1946, this S.S. Kresge Co. opened on the corner of 12 Mile Road and Griffith Ave. in Berkley. Longtime residents fondly remember the creaky wood floors and soda fountain.The store was named after founder Sebastian S. ...Read More




Looking Back: Vinsetta Garage

Looking Back: Vinsetta GarageParking does not appear to be a major problem in this 1925 picture of the Vinsetta Garage, located at the corner of Woodward Avenue and Eaton Road in Berkley.At that time, the garage rented out the building attached to it ...Read More




Looking Back: The Wellhausen Farm

Looking Back: The Wellhausen FarmShirley Forton provided photos of both her family home and their blacksmith shop on the corner of Garfield and Canal roads — where a Shell station and Vince and Joe’s Fruit market are currently located. Forton ...Read More




Looking back: The Last of the Moravians, 1913

Looking back: The Last of the Moravians, 1913The monument in this photograph says “In the memory of the Moravian Mission to the Indians 1782. Erected by the Daughters of the American Revolution, Alexander Macomb Chapter 1913.” This dramatized photograph was ...Read More




Looking Back: Kerner Farm

Looking Back: Kerner FarmKerner Farm was located on the west side of Clinton River Road, just north of Budd Park. Lois Harder McFarland provided these photos of the original homestead of Frederich Kerner, which stood from 1823-1906. From Jim ...Read More




Looking Back: The Kaiser Building

Looking Back: The Kaiser BuildingThis month’s photograph is of the Kaiser Building, formerly located in Eastpointe on the southeast corner of Nine Mile and Gratiot. The basement of this building was used for the village of Halfway’s municipal ...Read More




Looking Back: East Detroit's 1952 City Council

Looking Back: East Detroit's 1952 City CouncilIn this photograph dated November 1952, City Manager Charles Beaubien swears in Mayor James Anderson and the new City Council members at the East Detroit Municipal Building.On the far right is Beaulah Kantner, who was the ...Read More




Looking Back: 1964 Goodfellow Game

Looking Back: 1964 Goodfellow GameGrosse Pointe City Mayor Dale Scrace (not pictured) was a senior at Detroit Southeastern High School when the school played an iconic game with the St. Ambrose Cavaliers Football Team during the 1964 Goodfellow Game. Scrace, ...Read More




Looking Back: The first Roseville fire truck

Looking Back: The first Roseville fire truckThis month’s Looking Back photo showcases the Roseville Fire Department’s then-new fire engine circa 1926, which was kept at the Dodge Brothers dealership on Gratiot. The firefighters pictured are Arthur Pickler, ...Read More




Looking Back: Winter at the Packard Proving Grounds

Looking Back: Winter at the Packard Proving GroundsRoberta Vincent, 6, poses next to her family’s 1928 Packard motor car and their Pierce-Arrow camper at the Packard Proving Grounds in 1937. She was probably eagerly waiting for winter to be over and warmer weather to ...Read More




Looking Back: Shelby Township Christmas 1968

Looking Back: Shelby Township Christmas 1968This photo shows Christmas 1968 at the old Township Hall, built 20 years earlier and located on Van Dyke across from the Packard Proving Grounds. This small building contained the township’s Police Department, one of ...Read More




Looking Back: Otto Weber’s and Bill Frasard’s General Store circa 1920s

Looking Back: Otto Weber’s and Bill Frasard’s General Store circa 1920sOne of the earliest general stores in St. Clair Shores was located on Defer Road (now called Nine Mile Road) near Jefferson Avenue. It was operated by Otto Carl Henry Weber and William “Bill” Frasard. The store ...Read More




Looking Back: Santa comes to the Village of St. Clair Shores circa 1940s

Looking Back: Santa comes to the Village of St. Clair Shores circa 1940sIn December, Santa made a special stop to greet the children of St. Clair Shores, along with the men and women serving in the military. This image may have been taken in the Police Station. There is a traffic poster and ...Read More




Looking Back: The Lakeview Theatre

Looking Back: The Lakeview TheatreThe Lakeview Theatre, originally located at 30609 Jefferson Avenue, was owned and operated by Mr. Raymond Jewell Francis and his wife, Eva. He also sold real estate and had an office in the theatre. In the 1930s, a ticket ...Read More




Looking Back: The final season of the Holly Junior High School football team

Looking Back: The final season of the Holly Junior High School football teamThe 1981-82 school year for the Holly Junior High School football team was the final one. That season, the Holly Stingers played against Page, Busch, Wilkinson, Wolfe, Clawson and Hickory junior high schools. Holly finished ...Read More




Looking Back: Elizabeth Little, once upon a time

Looking Back: Elizabeth Little, once upon a timeWARREN — The current Van Dyke Public Schools administration building at 23500 MacArthur was once Elizabeth Little Elementary School, which was built in 1953, becoming the eighth school in the district at the time.It ...Read More




Latest News

Bloomfield Township

January 30, 2015

Teenager dies in car accident in Township

BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP — At 6 a.m. Jan. 26, the Bloomfield Township Police and Fire Departments responded to the report of a crash involving a freightliner tractor-trailer and two other vehicles. ...Read More

Most Popular

  • Viewed
  • Liked