Follow C & G News on Facebook Follow C & G News on Twitter Google+ Pinterest feed Connect to the C & G RSS feed

Current Weather

More

Looking Back: Firefighters at work

July 16, 2014

This month’s photo shows a pair of Erin Township firefighters, one identified as Joe Moritz and the other only as Mitchell, pumping water from a fire hydrant into the Fire Department’s first 500-gallon fire ...Read More

Looking Back: Thompson Elementary School

July 9, 2014

Source: A Van Dyke Public Schools booklet of the Bicentennial Section provided by VDPS school board member Eleanor BatesWARREN — Built in 1965 at the corner of Hupp and Marmon, Max Thompson Elementary was one of the ...Read More

Looking Back: Clinton River

July 2, 2014

Four youths take a break from rowing their boat up the Clinton River to have their photograph taken one summer circa 1900. Today, you would more likely see people paddling kayaks or canoes up and down the river. People have ...Read More

Looking Back: Presbyterian Church

July 1, 2014

In the early 1900s, Presbyterians in Berkley held church services in Angell Elementary School, 3849 Beverly Blvd.In 1949, the church moved into this white frame church on Greenfield Road in Berkley with a new name of ...Read More

Looking Back: The Sloan Building

June 25, 2014

This photo shows the Sloan Building under construction in downtown Clawson in 1928. When it was completed, it would house Hunter Drugs in the corner and the Peter Pan Ballroom on the second floor. The building still stands ...Read More

Looking Back: Pioneer Cemetery

June 25, 2014

Pioneer Cemetery, which is now owned by a private firm and called St. John Memorial Gardens Cemetery, is located behind the Fraser Public Library. It was established in 1864 and predates the other Fraser cemetery started by ...Read More

Looking Back: Packard Proving Grounds

June 25, 2014

Here at the Packard Proving Grounds in 1937 stands grounds manager Charles Vincent alongside the family car and camper. According to Roberta (Vincent) Mocabee, who lived with her family in the Proving Grounds Lodge during the ...Read More

Looking Back: The Bloomfield Township Public Library

June 24, 2014

This year, the BTPL is inviting the community to celebrate its golden anniversary. The library first opened its doors Oct. 18, 1964, in the Devon Building, located on the corner of Long Lake and Telegraph roads. Two years ...Read More

Looking Back: Miss Martha Thomas — Bathing Beauty Winner 1930

June 17, 2014

Miss Martha Thomas, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Elmer Thomas of 118 Court St. in Mount Clemens, was awarded 1st place in the Detroit Regional Yacht Racing Association bathing beauty contest during the two-day annual ...Read More

Looking Back: Planting Time on the Frank Trombley Farm, circa 1911

June 17, 2014

The Frank Trombley farm was located on Jefferson Avenue near the northern border of St. Clair Shores.  Frank and his son Albert were photographed as they rested a moment from plowing the fields with their horses. A ...Read More

Looking Back: Sacred Heart Catholic Church

June 10, 2014

This photo is of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church, in what is now Roseville, sometime between 1915 and 1928. This early church building was located at the junction of Gratiot Avenue and Utica Road. The church still is located ...Read More

Looking back: Berkley Firehouse

June 4, 2014

BERKLEY — Berkley Fireman Larry Harrison slides down the fire pole in the old firehouse on Coolidge Highway in Berkley. ...Read More

Looking Back: Wayne County Library

May 28, 2014

The Wayne County Library organized a station in the Grosse Pointe Shores Village Hall in 1922, and in 1928, a separate branch building was opened. ...Read More

Looking Back: The Craig Log Cabin – One of Bloomfield’s Oldest Residents

May 28, 2014

In December 1845, 32-year-old Irish-born William Craig bought 40 acres in Section 20 of Bloomfield Township for $200 from Abraham Sodon. The property was located on a rolling hillside on what would become Lone Pine Road, ...Read More

Looking Back: The Cady School

May 23, 2014

The Cady School was located at Metropolitan Parkway and Utica Road. The Cady’s Corner area was by Moravian and Utica Road and named for Chauncey Cady (1803-1893), who served the area in a number of capacities, which ...Read More

Looking Back: Mount Clemens, May 23, 1914

May 21, 2014

May 23, 1914, was a day to celebrate in Mount Clemens because it was the ground-breaking day for the new Mount Clemens Pottery Company. The pottery company first offered 125 new jobs to the community, eventually growing to ...Read More

Looking Back: Harper Woods Public Library

May 8, 2014

Harper Woods Library hosted a 50th anniversary celebration of its current location April 26.Mayor Ken Poynter and County Commissioner Tim Killeen were among those in attendance.The Harper Woods Library opened the doors at ...Read More

Looking Back: MH Police and Fire Department (1978)

May 7, 2014

This image features the first south-end fire station. The two-story house to the left of the station housed the city’s probation offices and the majority of city services in the early years. ...Read More

Looking Back: D & C was a Rochester favorite

May 7, 2014

For almost 70 years, a visit to the D & C store was a must for Rochester shoppers. ...Read More

Looking Back: Lincoln High School

May 7, 2014

An aerial view of the Lincoln High School campus depicts the school’s new football stadium completed in 1972 and located on MacArthur. The early 1970s additions at the high school also included a fine arts section and ...Read More

Looking Back: The Calvin Pierce homestead

May 7, 2014

The above photograph, taken in the 1930s, is of the Calvin Pierce homestead that was located near the southwest corner of 23 Mile Road and Van Dyke Avenue.Samuel Curtis purchased the original land parcel of 160 acres in ...Read More

Federal Department Store

May 6, 2014

This month’s historical photo shows the Federal Department Store in Roseville following a fire in 1978. The store was located in the Eastgate Shopping Center at Gratiot Avenue and Frazho Road. The picture is dated Feb. ...Read More

Looking Back: Janet Davis Dry Cleaners

May 6, 2014

Janet Davis opened Janet Davis Dry Cleaners in Berkley at the corner of Woodward Avenue and Larkmoor Boulevard in 1950.When the dry cleaners first opened, it had the diagonal parking for customers that was common along ...Read More

Looking Back: Detroit Masonic Country Club on Lake St. Clair

April 30, 2014

Designed by architect George W. Graves, the elegant Detroit Masonic Country Club was dedicated in May 1923. Located on the shores of Lake St. Clair at the intersection of Masonic Boulevard and Jefferson Avenue, the clubhouse ...Read More

Looking Back: The Green School Bell

April 30, 2014

In 1866, Hartwell Green and his wife, Mary, donated land for a one-room schoolhouse for their children and others in that area. Built on Green Road, this wooden plank building measured 20 by 34 feet. One teacher taught all ...Read More

Looking Back: Steffens Hall

April 30, 2014

Steffens Hall, as seen in 1895, was built by Charles Steffens, businessman and stave mill owner. Steffens Hall was used as a meeting place in the early days of the Village of Frazer — it was spelled with a ...Read More

Looking Back: Dexter Enhanced Washing Machine

April 30, 2014

MACOMB TOWNSHIP — This Dexter Enhanced Washing Machine dates back to 1890 and was donated to the Macomb Township Historical Commission by Jane M. Boeling, the great-great-granddaughter of the Rev. Johannes Friedrich ...Read More

Looking Back: The Birmingham Teen Center and Palladium jump-started local bands

April 30, 2014

By Leslie Pielack, Birmingham Historical Museum and ParkIn 1965, the Teen Center was a nonprofit enterprise established at 136 Brownell — now Peabody Street — in the hopes of offering teens a place to go to ...Read More

Looking Back: Ralph Harmon Booth House

April 24, 2014

The Ralph Harmon Booth House was awarded a plaque from the Grosse Pointe Historical Society in 1987. The 22-room home was designed by Marcus Burrows in 1924 in a style that combined both Tudor and Jacobean influences. ...Read More

Looking Back: April 6, 1947, Easter Sunday in Mount Clemens

April 16, 2014

Frank Jennette, the man pictured center holding his hat, is just one of the many people fighting Mother Nature on Easter Sunday in 1947. People resorted to driving their boats down Crocker Boulevard instead of their cars. ...Read More