Published June 5, 2013
Zawislak praises team after Troy High soccer claims fifth district in a row
By Mike Moore firstname.lastname@example.org Follow Mike on Twitter.
TROY — He doesn’t like to group the years together, claiming each team has its own identity and own purpose.
But the girls on the Troy High soccer team have certainly put together quite an impressive streak when it comes to district titles.
The 2013 squad picked up the fifth in a row after 1-0 victory against Troy Athens by way of a 4-2 shootout on June 1.
“Having all the ups and downs we faced this year, this was pretty special,” coach Brian Zawislak said. “This district was so tough. There were six teams here that could have won it.”
Playing in the Sterling Heights Stevenson district, Troy beat Utica High 3-0 in the semifinals after taking care of the host team 2-1 in the opener.
“The girls did such a good job of staying focused, both physically and mentally,” Zawislak said.
Troy advanced to the Grosse Pointe North regional and faced North Farmington in a semifinal played after press time.
The regional final is set for 6 p.m. June 7 against Grosse Pointe South or New Baltimore Anchor Bay.
“This is a group that’s been tournament-tested, and I really think that helped us,” Zawislak said. “They relied on the experience of the past.”
Troy, which improved to 11-6-3, reached the past two state finals but dropped both games.
“All these districts are nice in their own way,” Zawislak added. “We don’t worry about a streak or anything. We believe we have a good product and hope for the results to take care of themselves.”
- 7 DAYS
- 30 DAYS
- Utica Ford boys golf tops at 2015 Evans-Gill tournament - Ray Township
- Troy and Athens softball set to face off for first — and only — meeting - Troy
- Brother Rice struggles in opener but earns split at Divine Child in Saturday baseball action - Birmingham
- Mercy softball stays perfect on the season, wins by mercy twice in doubleheader sweep of Ladywood - Farmington Hills
- Wayne State softball team takes aim at another successful postseason - Detroit
- Hazel Park High girls soccer young, but with high expectations - Hazel Park
- Lamerato confident his Hawks will contend when consistency develops - Farmington Hills
- Catholic League honors boys, girls hoops teams - Metro Detroit
- Macomb Area Conference names season’s top hockey players - Macomb County
- Center Line baseball to lean on defense and pitching, manufacturing runs - Center Line
- Gasparotto challenging his Farmington soccer squad with hopes of playoff payoff - Farmington
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game - Roseville
- Lake Shore softball hopes to build on last season’s run to regionals - St. Clair Shores
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness - Royal Oak
- Roseville High softball coach teaching positivity, joy of the game
- East Detroit baseball out to surprise teams in 2015
- Royal Oak coach rewarded for greatness
- Lakeview baseball expecting good things in 2015
- East Detroit softball looking to stay on the upswing
- Former North soccer standout, Stander, returns to patrol the sidelines
- Royal Oak High soccer back with experience and high goals