St. Clair Shores, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Farmington, Farmington HillsMarch 2, 2013
Wrestlers battle for state title at The Palace
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
AUBURN HILLS — The top wrestlers in the state battled for the ultimate title March 2 at The Palace of Auburn Hills.
In Division 1, Rochester High's Shwan Shadaia beat Clarkston High's Chris Calvano 4-3 to become the school's second state champion in history.
"It's awesome, just the title itself makes me happy. I'm a state champion," the 189-pounder said.
Shadaia's escape with 11 seconds remaining in the match proved to be the difference.
"I had the ability to just circle and circle (around the mat), so I used that to my advantage," he said.
At 103 pounds, Farmington Hills Harrison's Michael Volyanyuk fell to Holt High's Benny Gomez by pin with 35 seconds left in the first round.
"He caught me in the cradle early in the match, but I had a good run," Volyanyuk said.
At 145, Birmingham Brother Rice's Andrew Napieraj lost to Westland John Glenn's Travis Mann in a 10-4 decision.
After a scoreless first period, Napieraj took a 1-0 lead with an escape early in the second, but two takedowns and two nearfalls cost him.
"It was a misstep here, a misstep there," Napieraj said. "It was a great experience and another steppingstone."
In D-2, St. Clair Shores Lake Shore 125-pounder JacQuan Moore fell one match short of becoming a state champion.
Moore was pinned with 52 seconds left in his match with St. John's Zack Hall, who captured his third straight title.
"I knew he was no joke. He's a three-time champ for a reason," said Moore, who became the first two-time state placer in program history. "But just by getting this far shows me how much hard work pays off."
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start