Clinton Township, Harrison Township, Mount ClemensOctober 31, 2012
Volleyball moves into postseason
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
The volleyball regular season came to a close last week, giving way to the state tournament, which kicks off this week.
Here’s a breakdown of each local team. Check out our website at www.candgnews.com for updates, photos and features from throughout the tournament.
Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse was slated to take on St. Clair Shores Lake Shore in an opening-round district match Oct. 29, after press time.
The winner of that game advances to a 4 p.m. Oct. 31 semifinal against Fraser High, which received a first-round bye. The district final is set for 6 p.m. Nov. 1. Both the semifinals and finals are at Roseville High. The host Panthers and Clinton Township Chippewa Valley both got byes and were set to meet in the other semifinal to round out the district.
Warren Regina received a bye and is set to take on the winner of Sterling Heights High and Warren Woods Tower in a 5 p.m. Nov. 1 semifinal at Warren Cousino. The host Patriots will play Warren Mott in the other semifinal 30 minutes following the conclusion of Regina’s match. The finals are set for 6 p.m. Nov. 2.
Clinton Township Clintondale was also scheduled to start district play after press time, facing St. Clair Shores South Lake in the first round.
The winner of that match plays at 7 p.m. Oct. 31 semifinal against Macomb Lutheran North, which received a bye. The final is at 6 p.m. Nov. 1. The semis and final will be at Center Line High. The host Panthers faced Detroit Osborn in an opening match, while Warren Lincoln took on Harper Woods Chandler Park in the first round. The winners of those matches would play in a 5 p.m. Oct. 31 semifinal.
Mount Clemens High received a first-round bye and will play the winner of Madison Heights Madison and Harper Woods High in a 4:30 p.m. Nov. 1 semifinal at Grosse Pointe University Liggett.
The host Knights also received a bye and will take on the winner of Warren Michigan Collegiate and Detroit Winans Academy in the other semifinal, at 6 p.m. Nov. 1. The final is at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 2.
Tournament rolls on
Volleyball regionals are set for Nov. 6 and Nov. 8, while the state quarterfinals are Nov. 13 at various sites. Should L’Anse Creuse or Regina win their respective districts, they would advance to a regional hosted by Lake Shore. Clintondale or Lutheran North would move on to a Pontiac Notre Dame Prep-hosted regional. And Mount Clemens would move on to a regional at Memphis High. Check out www.mhsaa.com for more info.
The state semifinals (Nov. 15-16) and finals (Nov. 17) will be held at Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start