BerkleyNovember 8, 2012
Berkley and Ferndale ready for postseason
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
It’s playoff time in volleyball, and local schools are in on the action.
Here’s a look at how each team fared in their district play and where they’re going next.
The district champs moved on to regionals, which got under way after press time. The regional finals are scheduled for Nov. 8. For more on regional showdowns, visit our website at www.candgnews.com.
Class A at Berkley High
Berkley won its district without losing a single game in two matches.
The Bears beat Royal Oak High 3-0 Nov. 2 in the final and Oak Park High 3-0 Oct. 31 in their semifinal.
“I knew they could pull it off, but what I thought was more surprising is that they basically did everything I’ve been saying to them the whole season, all in one (tournament),” coach Liz Primeau said. “It all came together.”
It’s the Bears’ first district title since 2008. For the last two seasons, they played in the final but lost to Southfield High each time.
“There was a lot of excitement when we won,” Primeau said. “To finally finish it, it was just a sense of accomplishment. They reaped the rewards of all of our practices and tournament games we played this season.”
Berkley played Farmington Hills Mercy in a regional semifinal after press time. The winner of the match plays in the final at 7 p.m. Nov. 8 at Farmington High.
Class B at Warren Fitzgerald
After drawing a first-round bye, Ferndale High fell to Fitzgerald 25-19, 25-18, 21-25 and 29-27 Oct. 31.
“The girls fought hard through this district match,” Ferndale coach Shannon Pietras said. “The game went back and forth, and the crowd was definitely in favor of the districts hosts, Fitzgerald.”
Karly Wilson led Ferndale with 13 kills; Meghan Carney had 11 digs; Katlynn Hughes had nine digs and Kayla Hughes had 19 assists.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals