Clawson, Royal OakNovember 7, 2012
Royal Oak and Clawson volleyball teams head into the postseason
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
It’s playoff time in volleyball, and local schools are in on the action.
Here’s a look at how each one fared in their district play and where they’re going next.
The district champs moved on to regionals, which got under way after press time. The regional finals are scheduled for Nov. 8. For more on regional showdowns, visit our website at www.candg news.com.
Class A at Berkley High
Royal Oak High battled for a district championship, but fell to Berkley High in three games Nov. 2.
“We’re about the same caliber. I thought we played great, but they played better,”
Royal Oak coach Heidy Studebaker said. “I don’t think the girls gave up at any point or left anything out on the floor.”
On the way to the final, the Ravens beat Southfield High in five games Oct. 31 and
Southfield-Lathrup in three games Oct. 29.
“Overall, I think we played probably the most consistent and best that we had all year,” Studebaker added.
Class B at Clawson High
Clawson High’s season came to an end on its home court.
The Trojans lost to Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day in three games Oct. 29.
Country Day went on to defeat Madison Heights Lamphere in the semifinals before losing to Pontiac Notre Dame Prep in three games for the title.
Class C at Madison Heights Bishop Foley
Royal Oak Shrine lost to Auburn Hills Oakland Christian in three games Oct. 29 in its opening round of districts
Oakland Christian went on to win the district, beating Bloomfield Hills Sacred Heart in four games Nov. 2 for the title and Bishop Foley in four games Oct. 31 in a semifinal.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start