Oakland CountyNovember 7, 2012
Volleyball heads into the postseason
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
It’s playoff time in volleyball, and local schools are in on the action.
Here’s a look at how each one fared in their district play and where they’re going next.
The district champs moved on to regionals, which got under way after press time. The regional finals are scheduled for Nov. 8. For more on regional showdowns, visit our website at www.candgnews.com.
Class A at Birmingham Seaholm
Having just lost the last two games, Birmingham Seaholm headed into the fifth and final frame against Bloomfield Hills Marian with a sense of calm.
“They knew they could do it. We prepared them for months that this game is just like any other game,” Seaholm coach Heather Lippert said. “Win or lose, they had so much to be proud of.”
The Maples made their home crowd proud, beating Marian 15-6 for the five-game district championship. It’s their first since 2000.
“I just think that the girls had really prepared themselves mentally and physically to win,” the coach said. “They just came to play. It wasn’t just one kid. It was everyone.
“No one thought this team was going to win, so we kind of used that (as motivation). It kind of added to the intensity of wanting to win.”
On the way to the title, the Maples beat Bloomfield Hills Andover in three games Nov. 1 and West Bloomfield High in three Oct. 30.
On the other side of the bracket, Marian beat Bloomfield Hills Lahser in three Nov. 1. Lahser made the semifinals after beating Birmingham Groves in five Oct. 30.
Seaholm played Troy High in a regional semifinal after press time. The winner plays either Utica Eisenhower or Clarkston High at 7 p.m. Nov. 8 at Rochester High for the regional championship.
Class B at Clawson High
The season came to a close for Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day and Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood.
Country Day lost in its district final in three games to Pontiac Notre Dame Prep Nov. 2. The Yellowjackets earned their spot in the final after beating Madison Heights Lamphere in three Oct. 31 and Clawson in three Oct. 29.
Cranbrook fell to Prep in three Oct. 31.
Class C at Madison Heights Bishop Foley
Bloomfield Hills Sacred Heart lost to Auburn Hills Oakland Christian in its final Nov. 2.
The Gazelles fell in four games in the final. They beat Rochester Hills Lutheran Northwest in three Oct. 31 and Pontiac Academy for Excellence in three Oct. 29.
Class D at Clarkston Everest Collegiate
Bloomfield Hills Roeper fell to Waterford Our Lady of the Lakes in three games Nov. 3 in its final.
The Roughriders beat Clarkston Everest Collegiate in three Oct. 30 to earn a spot in the match.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak