TroyFebruary 13, 2013
Troy High wrestling wins team district title
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
TROY — It was dramatic, but Troy High 103-pounder Kevin Thomas was confident he would deliver for his team in the Division 1 wrestling team district championship Feb. 6 at home.
Leading Warren Mott by one point with two matches left, Thomas entered the circle looking to seal the deal for the Colts, and with a pin with 34 seconds remaining in the first period, he accomplished that goal.
“I was going for the pin to clinch the victory,” he said. “I felt I could get it. We haven’t had a victory like this in a long time. We realized we could win it at the end and had motivation.”
Thomas’ pin, worth six points, gave Troy a 39-32 lead and an eventual 39-37 victory.
The championship didn’t come easy, as the Colts trailed the Marauders by as many as 14 points midway through the match.
The Colts responded winning five of the final seven matches, three of them by pin.
“We had some momentum, and some guys stepped up at the right time,” Troy coach Jon Thomas said. “It’s a great feeling. I’m really proud of the team.”
Another key victory belonged to Connor Welborn at 130 pounds. He trailed his opponent by five points at one point before eventually winning by pin.
“He shot in, and I sprawled and then cradled him,” Welborn said. “It felt nice to do it for the team.”
In the semis, Troy outlasted a gritty Troy Athens bunch to win 42-24.
“The kids wrestled tough,” Athens coach John Keyes said. “It’s a bummer how it turned out the way it did. I wish we didn’t have as many voids.”
Athens voided five matches, giving up 30 points in the process.
Troy took on Rochester High Feb. 13, after press time, at Oxford High in its regional opener.
The other side of the regional bracket featured Birmingham Seaholm and Utica Eisenhower.
In D-2, Auburn Hills Avondale won its district in convincing fashion Feb. 6 at Andover.
The Yellow Jackets beat Orchard Lake St. Mary’s 63-12 in the final after getting past Bloomfield Hills Lahser 78-6. Avondale met Southfield High Feb. 13 at Madison Heights Lamphere in its regional.
The winner of the regional heads to Battle Creek Feb. 22 for quarterfinals. D-1 starts at 3:15 p.m. and D-2 is 7:45 p.m.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- Chippewa golf aims for league championship and postseason success - Clinton Township
- East Detroit boys golf coach touts players’ growth - Eastpointe
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Grosse Pointe North baseball hopes to finish strong - Grosse Pointe Woods
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start