Mount ClemensOctober 3, 2012
Tower, Lakeview share MAC Gold tennis tourney title
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
MOUNT CLEMENS — The two teams that have been at the top of the Macomb Area Conference Gold Division all season long showed why again as Warren Woods Tower and St. Clair Shores Lakeview shared the MAC Gold Division tournament title.
Both teams tallied 40 points to finish atop the tournament field of seven local squads. The matches took place Oct. 2 at Seminole Elementary School in Mount Clemens and at L'Anse Creuse High School in Harrison Township.
Tower senior Joshua Hallendy won the No. 1 singles title with a two-set victory in the finals over Madison Heights Lamphere junior Octavio Gherasin. Lamphere finished second with 39 points.
Three Lakeview doubles teams won titles, as well.
Also in the field were Clawson High, Mount Clemens High, Center Line High and Sterling Heights High.
Tower also finished in first place of the division during dual-meet competition, while Lakeview was second.
East Detroit takes MAC Blue
The East Detroit boys tennis team continued its run through the MAC Blue with a win in the division tournament.
The Shamrocks, which won the regular season title, finished first in the league tournament with 55 points. Utica High placed second with 51, followed by Clinton Township Chippewa Valley (43), Marysville (35), Fraser (32), Port Huron High (30), Marine City (27), and Warren Mott (14).
Romeo takes MAC White tourney title
The Romeo High boys tennis team took the MAC White Division tournament title Oct. 2 with 53 points.
St. Clair High placed second with 49, followed by Anchor Bay (43), Macomb L’Anse Creuse North (39), Macomb Dakota (32), Utica Stevenson (28), Utica Ford II (25) and Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse (19).
Results for the MAC Blue Division tournament were not yet available at press time. No MAC Red tournament took place this year.
Romeo also won the MAC White dual-meet title, while Grosse Pointe South won the Red and East Detroit won the Blue.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title - Clawson
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- Eisenhower softball looks to build strong foundation - Shelby Township
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley