TroyFebruary 20, 2013
Team season wrapped
By Christian Davis
C & G Sports Writer
OXFORD — The Troy High team portion of the wrestling season came to a end Feb. 13 at Oxford High.
The Colts fell to Rochester High 68-10 in a Division 1 regional semifinal. The Falcons went on to win the regional, beating Utica Eisenhower 66-11 in the final.
“I’m pleased, not disappointed,” Troy coach Jon Thomas said of the evening. “(Rochester’s) coach (Frank) Lafferty has a great team over there, and we did what we could.”
Troy won two matches, getting a void victory from Nick Gee at 103 pounds and a major decision from Kevin Thomas at 112.
The loss marks the end of Jon Thomas’ first season leading the program that he wrestled for, graduating in 2006 after finishing All-State twice in his career.
“It’s good to be back,” he said. “I really take pride in the little things, like seeing them execute a move that we taught them on the mat.”
The Colts say goodbye to a group of seniors who believe they have the program turned around and helped win a district title.
“We had a change of mindset, and we felt this year was the turning point,” senior captain Jeff Jackson said. “It was a great experience. To come back and win a team district means a lot, especially my senior year.”
“We’re going to miss those guys,” Jon Thomas added.
In D-2, it was also the end of the road for Auburn Hills Avondale. The Yellow Jackets lost to Southfield High 45-32 Feb. 13 at Madison Heights Lamphere in a regional semifinal.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Rice baseball marches to Battle Creek, beats Lake Orion 7-3 in D-1 quarterfinal - Birmingham
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals