Rochester HillsOctober 24, 2012
Stoney Creek soccer team claims title in one of state’s best districts
By Mike Moore
C & G Sports Writer
He stood behind his team’s bench watching the end of the junior varsity game while speaking on what was left of the 2012 regular season.
It was roughly a month ago, and any shot at a league title had already vanished.
So, understandably, Adam Bican and his Rochester Hills Stoney Creek soccer team had turned their attention to a Division 1 district field that featured some of the best teams in the state.
“It will be a war of attrition,” Bican said then. “Whichever team survives will be set up for a long playoff run.”
He can only hope those words ring true now.
On Oct. 20, Bican and the Cougars wrapped up a title at the Rochester High district, claiming the top spot with a 2-1 victory against Rochester Adams in a game that reached a shootout.
“It’s awesome to do this, it really is,” Bican said. “Anytime you have a chance to do something like this, especially considering this district and the teams that were involved, it’s pretty sweet. We’re proud to be the team that got out.”
Stoney advanced to the Troy High regional and faced Grand Blanc High after press time.
The regional final is set for 6 p.m. Oct. 25 and will feature the winner of the Traverse City Central/Walled Lake Central semifinal.
In the district final, Adams scored the game’s first goal with about 12 minutes left in regulation.
“In the playoffs, a goal that late is usually a death sentence,” Bican said with a laugh.
But his guys battled back and evened the game three minutes later when sophomore Frederico Kulyckyj found the back of the net.
After two scoreless overtimes, Stoney won the shootout 4-2.
This came just two days after defeating Troy Athens 1-0 in a semifinal.
Athens, which won the Oakland Activities Association Red Division, was considered the favorite to win the district.
“We were fortunate to get the bye in the first round, then we had to game plan for one of the best teams in the state,” Bican said of the Athens win. “We put together a solid defensive effort and found a way. … In the final game, we were playing a great team and a great rival. We just seemed to get stronger as the game wore on.”
In other district final action
Auburn Hills Oakland Christian claimed a D-4 district title at Clarkston Everest Collegiate, beating the host team 7-0 in an Oct. 19 final.
The Lancers beat Rochester Hills Lutheran Northwest 3-1 in a semifinal and West Bloomfield Frankel Jewish Academy 4-1 in the opener.
Oakland Christian played Harbor Beach High in a regional semifinal after press time.
Auburn Hills Avondale had its back-to-back state title hopes cut short in a 1-0 overtime loss to Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood in a D-2 district final.
The Yellow Jackets beat Bloomfield Hills Lahser 2-1 in a semifinal after beating Madison Heights Lamphere 8-0 in the opener.
Lake Orion High fell in a D-1 district final at Oxford, dropping the title game 4-3 to Grand Blanc. The Dragons beat Clarkston High 2-1 in the semis after drawing a bye.
In a D-3 district final at Beverly Hills Detroit Country Day, Pontiac Notre Dame Prep fell to the host team 4-3.
Prep beat Detroit Cesar Chavez Academy 5-3 in the semifinal after beating Livonia Clarenceville 2-1 in the opener.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- South Lake boys golf team shooting for first league title since 2009 - St. Clair Shores
- NDP relishes opportunity to play at Comerica Park - Pontiac
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start