UticaJune 15, 2012
Stevenson softball season ends with regional title
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
Utica Stevenson’s softball season came to an end in heartbreaking fashion June 12. The Titans fell 5-4 to White Lake Lakeland in a Division 1 state quarterfinal at Madison Heights Bishop Foley despite breaking a 2-2 tie in the top of the seventh and taking a 4-2 lead into the bottom of the seventh.
“It was a great game,” Stevenson coach Tony Misuraca said. “Both teams gave each other some runs in the seventh. Give them credit: They put the ball in play.”
“I just told them I wouldn’t trade them for anyone,” Misuraca said about talking with his players after the game.
Stevenson (26-10), the co-champs of the Macomb Area Conference Red Division during the regular season, won district and regional titles, advancing to the quarterfinals for the second time in three years.
“There’s not a whole lot you can say — great group of girls,” the coach said. “I’m going to miss the seniors.”
The Titans say goodbye to seniors Jessica Berner, Kristine Fracassa and Jennifer Gmerek — a trio that made major contributions all year and in the careers on the squad.
“I am so proud of this team,” Berner said.
Stevenson will look to its returning younger players to step up and lead the program on another deep tourney run next year.
“I told the underclassmen, ‘Remember this feeling. You’ve got one year, and let’s try to do this again,’” Misuraca said. “‘Let’s try to build on it. Just remember how bad this hurts right now.’”
Stevenson beat Anchor Bay 6-1 in the June 9 regional final after earlier defeating Warren Regina 5-0 in a regional semifinal to advance to the quarterfinals.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Friendly confines of Comerica Park serve as celebration headquarters for Rice - Birmingham
- Groves volleyball gives back - Birmingham
- Young team full of potential has Clark excited about Lakers future - West Bloomfield
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Lake Orion High boys golf proves to be best in county - Lake Orion
- Utica girls track captures dual-meet championship - Utica
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start - Ferndale
- With Zemmer in the circle, Athens softball team will have a fighting chance - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Adams softball team picking up where it left off in 2012 - Rochester Hills
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start