Macomb County, Oakland CountyJune 12, 2012
Stevenson softball loses heartbreaker
By Jon Malavolti
C & G Sports Writer
MADISON HEIGHTS — Utica Stevenson’s softball team’s lead disappeared just as quickly as it materialized. And just like that, with a bad case of déjà vu, the Titans were knocked out of the state tournament.
Stevenson fell 5-4 to White Lake Lakeland in a Division 1 state quarterfinal June 12 at Madison Heights Bishop Foley.
The game was tied 2-2 entering the seventh inning. The Titans were up first and brought two runners home on a bunt by junior shortstop Andrea Deneweth to take a 4-2 lead.
But Lakeland tied the game in eerily similar fashion, and then won it on the following play after an errant pitch.
“It was a great game,” Stevenson coach Tony Misuraca said. “Both teams gave each other some runs in the seventh. Give them credit, they put the ball in play.”
The Titans finish the year 26-10, while Lakeland advances to the state semifinals.
“I just told them I wouldn’t trade them for anyone,” Misuraca said about talking with his players after the game.
- Last 24 Hours
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Heugh knows key to Athens success is finding consistency - Troy
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals - Southfield
- Berkley baseball team eyes division crown for second straight year - Berkley
- North, South and Liggett tennis teams earn spots in state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Roseville baseball team focused on district title - Roseville
- Mercy softball confidence soars as playoff time draws ever-so close - Farmington Hills
- All three local schools qualify athletes for track and field state finals - Grosse Pointe Farms
- Brother Rice rolls past Catholic Central to claim league title - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley defends Catholic League title with win over NDP - Madison Heights
- Sterling Heights native, Albion College pitcher, earns MVP honors - Sterling Heights
- Dakota girls basketball’s entire graduating class receives college scholarship - Macomb Township
- Stoney Creek outlast Sterling-Mott Unified in boys lacrosse playoff opener - Rochester Hills
- Fraser boys track and field wins MAC championship - Fraser
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics - Harrison Township
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area - Metro Detroit
- North Farmington baseball team improves to 14-3 with 5-2 victory against Pioneer - Farmington Hills
- Stoney Creek graduate taken No. 1 in NFL draft - Rochester
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate - Warren
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship - Walled Lake
- Troy softball team sweeps Athens in postseason preview - Troy
- Local gymnast qualifies for Junior Olympics
- Walled Lake Northern lacrosse wins city championship
- Club rugby programs become more visible in area
- Roseville High girls soccer looks to improve under second-year coach
- De La Salle lacrosse team navigating its way through tough slate
- NDP soccer continues strong season with victory against Bishop Foley
- Ferndale High golf off to strong start