Macomb TownshipOctober 24, 2012
Stevenson girls, Romeo boys win annual county cross country meet
By Jason Carmel Davis
C & G Sports Writer
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP — The Utica Stevenson girls cross country team won its 24th Macomb County Cross Country meet in the 31-year tenure of coach Kevin Hanson.
“It might be a regular occurrence for us, but this never gets old,” Hanson said.
The meet took place Oct. 13 at Stony Creek Metropark in Shelby Township.
“For us, this was the start of championship season,” said Hanson, who’s led the Titans to three Michigan High School Athletic Association state titles.
“We have four straight weeks with championship meets (the county meet, Macomb Area Conference Division meets, MHSAA regionals and MHSAA state finals), and it was important for us to get off to a good start. Hopefully, we can keep it up.”
The Titans’ girls team led the field with 43 points and had five girls finish in the top 15 of the 5,000-meter run. Macomb Lutheran North sophomore Gina Patterson won the girls heat with a time of 18:22. Senior Jessica Gaines paced Stevenson, finishing third with a time of 18:50.
“Jessica has gotten better every year,” Hanson said. “She’s our number one runner and she’s a leader for us — not just as a runner, either. She’s a leader in everything she does.”
The team score is comprised of the place each of a team’s top-five runners finished. The low score wins the race. In all, 144 girls from 23 high schools competed in the race.
Utica Eisenhower finished second with 101 points, followed by Macomb Lutheran North (130), Warren Regina (132) and Clinton Township Chippewa Valley (144).
Rounding out the top 10 were the girls teams from Macomb Dakota (160 points), Romeo High (188), Warren Mott (253), Warren Woods Tower (254) and Utica High (282).
Chippewa Valley junior Rachel Walny (18:50) finished second in the race. Other local runners who placed high include Stevenson freshman Allison Shannon, who finished sixth with a time of 19:05; Stevenson freshman Samantha Hanson (seventh, 19:06), Eisenhower freshman Brianna Mozariwskyj (eighth, 19:21), Dakota senior Christine Micale (ninth, 19:29) and Warren Mott junior Allie Knoll (10th, 19:32).
Hanson said he believes his team has a shot to win a state title but recognizes it will be tough to unseat Grosse Pointe South.
“Grosse Pointe South is the number one team in the state and the country, so it’ll be tough to beat them,” Hanson said of the defending state champion Blue Devils.
Romeo High wins boys heat
Five runners from the Romeo High boys cross country team finished in the top eight of the boys 5,000-meter run to give the Bulldogs the win at the county meet.
Those high finishes led to Romeo posting 25 total points at the event Oct. 13.
Warren De La Salle sophomore Mickey Davey won the race with a time of 15:57. He helped lead the Pilots to third-place finish with 176 points. Junior Alec Toreki, who finished second with a time of 16:06, paced the Bulldogs.
Dakota tallied 90 points to finish second. Utica High (182) and St. Clair Shores Lakeview (206) round out the top five. Filling out the top 10 are Mott (241), Stevenson (251), Chippewa Valley (251), Anchor Bay (252) and Eisenhower (274).
Eisenhower senior Kevin Salter finished fourth in the boys heat with a time of 16:12. Harrison Township L’Anse Creuse North senior Trevor Creagh (16:21) finished sixth and Mott senior Joey Przybylko (16:37) finished ninth.
In all, 160 runners from 24 schools crossed the finish line.
The Macomb Area Conference Cross Country Division meets took place after press time. Michigan High School Athletic Association regionals take place Oct. 27. The MHSAA state finals are Nov. 3 at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn.
For information on those meets, check www.mhsaa.com.
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Bishop Foley preps for Bridgman High in semifinals, takes aim at third state title in three years - Madison Heights
- Bay City Western gets run in sixth inning, holds on to beat Brother Rice 1-0 in D-1 final - Birmingham
- Troy High wins D-1 soccer title, Marian falls in D-2 - Bloomfield Hills
- Brother Rice baseball team set to face Howell High in Division 1 semifinal - Birmingham
- Ruppenthal dominates as Brother Rice advances to Division 1 state final - Birmingham
- Bishop Foley baseball beats Bridgman, plays for third D-3 title in three years tomorrow - Madison Heights
- Liggett wins D-4 state title in extra innings - Grosse Pointes
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district - Warren
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons - Bloomfield Hills
- Bats come to life in sixth inning as St. Mary's baseball team advances past Andover - Bloomfield Hills
- LACROSSE: Local teams see varying results as state tournament begins - Warren
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title - Rochester Hills
- Mercy uses five home runs to claim second consecutive district title; Rice, St. Mary's and Troy also advance - Farmington Hills
- Wixom St. Catherine tops Royal Oak Shrine in district final - Royal Oak
- Warren Mott upends Warren De La Salle in D-1 baseball pre-district
- Price boasts about Stoney Creek softball after his girls claim division title
- Rice, Cranbrook and Bloomfield United battle for lacrosse crowns
- Clawson High girls soccer gives itself chance at third straight title
- Lathrup baseball claims fourth OAA Gold title in last seven seasons
- Bloomfield Hills Marian wins first district title in 10 seasons
- Southfield gymnast wins two gold medals